Declare computer at Customs?

stumpy

Appologies if this has been asked before. I have searched but can't seem to find an answer. I want to bring my laptop, do I have to declare this and then claim back the tax when I leave?

I'm sure the customs form says something about not bringing posessions over a certain value?

I would like to know the proper answer as well as what works in practise.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about lap tops but on my first trip I brought an expensive camcorder and taught the same thing so I went up to a customs officer and pointed to the leaflet about anything to declare and the camcorder he just waved me on. I presume it would be the same for the lap top.

Francis

stump_dog:

I think you are supposed to declare anything of value ( laptops, cameras, radios, ect) according the the "ambigious" language on the customs forms. after reading it a few times, I could not tell exactly where they "draw the line" from normal stuff to high tech/valuable stuff.

that said, it probably just gives them a reason to hassell you.

I have brought several laptops ( video cameras also) with me, only one time I had a problem.

not from customs as far as I know, but someone cut the strapping on my box ( I use cardboard boxes for my "stuff" rather than luggage, since my "stuff" only goes into thailand, not back with me.)

anyway, the one of the strapps was cut, and it looked like someone was "feeling around" in the box, nothing missing, but the screen on a laptop was busted up ( probably from a frustrated theif)

also, on my last 2 trips, the customs ppl had an xray set up after you turn in your customs forms.

(I had an Imac in one box, we had to lie a lot to get by, my daughter actually convinced them it was similar to a tv dinner? go figure)

I had a friend some time ago, brought a nice computer with him, declared it. had to pay a bond fee, and prove he was bringing it back out with him.

really makes no sense now days, with all the used, cheep stuff on the market ( pantip, and "hot stuff" at the weekend market) probably just a way for them to get a few bht out of you, and/or justify their jobs.

I would suggest bringing a small palmtop if you want to keep on the net while in los.

I find the cheep ( now they are here anyway) jornada models are quite good, can be in the carryon bag ( or maybe latest security stuff may prevent it) and seem to hold up to the abuse of travel.

for email, and brief use, the net cafes are a good deal.

I'm flying in/out of Thailand with a laptop maybe 10 times a year. Nobody gives a poop. They don't even look at the four bottles of wine I usually carry as well. So, doncha fret!

Originally posted by pasathai:

"If they give you any hassell, just act like its no big deal."

That's just it: Casually hand them the customs form, look like you don't give a damn about anything, and then they won't give a damn either.

When you're not scared the dog doesn't bite!

Originally posted by stump_dog:

"Ans if there is a problem with my not understanding the form apologise and get on with things?"

Profusely so. And offer to pay any amount of tax they want. 10,000? 20,000? They'll wave you through.

Archived