Green Peace legit or not?

This surprises me an environmentalist would back logging because when it comes down to it, the real life of the forest is the dead tree. The dead tree enriches the soil, provides cover for animals, food and shelter for insects and woodpeckers, and zillions of other benefits. Taking away trees and not letting them go through the cycle of decomposition I would think would impact the balance of the forest, not to mention all the disruption caused by the machinery.

And by the way, I'm not sure if it is true anymore but in the the past signing up with Green Peace would land you on the FBI's anti-american list.

>>>This surprises me an environmentalist would back logging because when it comes down to it, the real life of the forest is the dead tree. <<<

that depends very much on which type of forest.

if it is a untouched mixed forest than this is true. if it is a forest where man has already interfered by cutting and replanting leaving trees to rot can kill off the forest. nature is a fragile balance. the forest ground needs the leaves to fasten the rotting process, but if it is just a needle tree forest first a healthy mix of leave trees have to be planted before nature can be allowed to take over again.

after wood prices fell in europe (due to the uncontrolled cutting of primary forests all over the world) people have tried to leave forests to their natural state, but have failed as the slow rotting trees attracted a certain bug which also ate away healthy trees, killing off large forests in a very brief period of time, and making them vulnerable to storm damage. it is a shocking sight after a large storm went through such a already weakened forest.

also the animals play a large role in the growth of the forest. as in most european forest deers have no natural enemy anymore they need to be hunted. to many deer eat up young trees, killing off again forests.

once man has started interfering, the way back to a healthy natural forest is long (several generations) and extremely expensive.

Archived