Green Peace legit or not?

Occasionally, I see Thai's out looking for donations to Green Peace. They are in a group wearing green peace shirts, id tags, carry portfolios and clip boards. They are the only soliciters I have run across that do NOT proposition farangs; I'm ignored every time. Despite Thai's seemingly non-interest in the environment, they do seem very successful in getting donations from Thai's and I've even seen people writing down their credit card info for donations. Anyone know if they are legit or not?

Sorry for the threat-jack, but on a related issue I find it interesting that the flyer handouters (outhanders?) on Silom and perhaps other business areas seem to target specifically either Thais OR foreigners. The non-targeted group seems like dust in the wind to them.

As if foreigners wouldn't be interested in donating to Greenpeace, ot whatever other cause they're touting.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi ER,

if you visit Greenpeace international website you'll find they have a South Asian organisation but these pages are just in thai!

So I guess Greenpeace in Thailand is as legit as in other countries!

elef

They are legit. They set up in Thailand in the late '90's, I believe. I don't really care much for them myself. They've been accused of racial (pro-white) bias in the international hierarchy, but what I don't like is they are determined to be against anything. No matter what a country does or does not do, they can always be counted on to chirp in with rabid attacks about they should be doing the opposite. No matter what. Bitching for the sake of bitching. Some of their gripes are legitimate, but I've never gotten a sense that legitimacy was of primary importance; opposition is.

Hi norfloxacin400,

the big boss David McTaggart died in a car accident some years ago (there was a documentary portraying him - search for his name and you'll find out), Paul Watson an other cofounder left Greenpeace and started the Sea Shepherd Society.

elef

Archived