Airline Lounge Programs

mikem-- The stories of DHL's founder are quite legnedary and have shown to be (at least in part) true! Some of our more senior flight staff have DHL backgrounds.

pasathai-- Our flights depart/arrive on a very set schedule. Usually we plan for our planes to be on the ground for a minimum of time. Only a few hours at best.

The longer the plane sits on the apron the more we must pay in "parking fees" to the Airport Authority of Bangkok (AOT). If you though parking in London/LA/NY was expensive, try paying for the parking of a fully loaded B747!

Regarding your question of how long do I spend in BKK goes, the answer is "as long as I need to get my work done". Sometimes I'll stay only for the "transit", which is two or three hours. That means I will fly in and out on the same plane. Other times, if I need more time, I'll "break" and spend a day or two (or five, lol) and catch the outbound flight on the day I want to return. We fly in/out of BKK daily from HKG-TPE & SIN. I'm usually in BKK three or for four times per month.

If for some reason there are no "jump-seats" available on the day I want to leave. UPS will put me on a commerical flight. Since we are a full-fledged airline, we have interline agreements and a pass bureau. That's how I know about the various lounges and FF programs etc.

Overall, it's not a bad way to fly.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

PS: I'm always asked by the flight crews to bring food for them aboard! but it's always "mai pet" please. lol

UPSer:

You definitly got a good job. need an assistant ? smile.gif" border="0 ( just kidding, I'de probably croak if I were in thailand more than a few times a year, and they would have to pay extra to get the grin off my face b4 the funeral)

If you want to have some fun with ur pals on the plane ( regarding food) get some of the basal seed drink, and serve it in a clear glass. looks like the worst moldy pond scum you can find. ( pennyward drink is a close second).

I kept some here at work when someone was getting into my lunch, never found out who, but one look at the stuff I was drinking, and now I got a whole shelf in the fridge for only my stuff.

as to "mai pet", you notice how the degree seems to vary greatly form one cook to another?

pasathai--

Yes, "mai pet" does vary WIDELY from vendor to vendor.. I've found that (generally speaking) the vendors that are on the lower sois on Sukhumvit know that "mai pet" means 'please cook this for a farang'.. However, when you go the the higher sois, or areas where fewer farang are seen, the vendors really have no idea what 'mai pet' means.... Since we can't take any of the food off the aircraft (you must eat it all or it gets destroyed for quarantine reasons) I usually buy a few dishes from the restaurant in Foodland (soi 5).. excellent value!!

pasathai, how many times are you in Thailand and for how long?

I rent an apartment on Ratchadaphisak Road (soi 12) for when I stay.. Only 4,000B per month.. UPS gives me US$90 per day total for all my expenses (such as hotel/food

/etc). So, after only 3 days per month, I'm already ahead financially. I just put the difference into my TFB account and that becomes my "sanuk" money.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

UPSer:

You got that right about wide difference in how they interpret Mai pet, or pet nit noi.

I suffered thought some kai keo wann ( green curry chicken?) in Sakon Nakon some time ago.

My friends told me it was made special for farang, not hot/spicy.

( they were adding chili to it after it was served)

I suffered through it to be "graceful" but the next day, it was kee fai all the way.

(if we ever meet up, remind me to tell/show you why your fingernails dont grow very long when you eat thai food consistantly)

Btw: my favorite street food is the simple grilled chicken legg with stiky rice.

also, those little rolled crapes with the sweet creme inside are pretty good too.

( just don't over do it)

I got a funny pic related to the crapes, any idea how to send one from/through this board?

I don't have much real business in S.E. aisa the past few years, so if I get to thailand 3 times a year I am doing good. ( used to be at least 5 time a year, but things change)

BANN PATUMWAN CONDO. is where I live while in Bkk. (usually a pit stop on the way to phuket lately)

I plan to be in los appx 8-16 nov ( still seems like a long way away)

I can email you my cell ## if you got plans to be in the area, but I usually keep my activities for phuket, Just stick to business in Bkk.

( you may have to hear me bitch about ups though smile.gif" border="0 )

the last few lines of ur post. ( are you sure there are no job openings ?) sounds like you got it made.

also, you being a "man about town" so to speak in bkk, where the hell can we find decent tequlia in thailand?

all I ever see is the pepe lopez or sombreo brands. ( would kill the engine on a tuk tuk)

No Quervo anywhere? ( or maybe the hide it on me)

pasathai--

I may be in BKK during your time period... Right now, I'm in Manila on my way to BKK.. will be in BKK Thursday pm unitl Friday pm..

As far as the Thai curry goes... Well, after spending several months living in Cairo (against my better judgement and my will) I have forever sworn off curry... The ONLY exception is that Japanese stuff.. really bland...

If I eat (or take food) from a street vendor, I prefer those chicken skewers and sticky rice or the skewers of marinated/grilled pork balls w/ sticky rice... Easy to eat, easy to re-heat and cheap..

I usually buy 20 or 30 skewers (for me and some for the crew) and three bags of rice... Total bill= B100 to B150, what a deal!!

Is your condo over there by MBK?? I guess I'm thinking about the Pratunaam Process hotel (adjacent to MBK)... Close???

I stay at the Promsiri Mansion on Ratchadaphisek Road... Soi 12.. It's across the street from the new carefor(?) store and right next to the Emerald Hotel.. Not quite as convienent as on Sukhumvit (with the BTS and all) but since I usually take taxi (or motoci) to most of the places I want to go, the location becomes less important... Price is right(as I outlined earlier)..

As far the the Tequilla goes.. Sorry, I'm a non-drinker (by choice) therefore am the wrong person to ask this question... What I do know is that a lot of people I in BKK bring with them a supply of their favorite liquors if it's a speciality brand or hard-to-find thing...

Just looking in my passport this evening... this current entry to Thailand will be my 34th of the year! wow! I did 41 trips for all of 2000... I bet I end up over 43 for this year..

I know what you mean, coming to Bangkok can really tire you out.. If I "break" in Bangkok and spend any more than two days, I am completly worn out when I leave.. It's the long hours combined with the little food, and such...

While in BKK I go for a 30-40 minute jog in the morning (every morning) just before or at sunrise. So my day starts fairly early. If I have meetings that day, they will usually end with some type of "required" dinner function that always drags out until past 11:00pm or later.. Combine this with the fact that when I'm in Bangkok my actual food intake (calorie count) goes down. It's the heat and I'm drinking sooo much water there's no room for a big meal... I assume you're the same?

Oh well...

If we can ever cross paths, I'd love to meet... You might have to listen to **MY** bitching about about UPS as well.. LOL!

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

PS: Have you been to the 'new' Red Carpet Club in NRT??? I didn't realize this but it's United most expensive club ever (in terms of construction and furnishing costs)?

I went in briefly, but didn't even have time to get a beverage or snack.

UPSer:

Thanks for the long reply:

once agin, I must say you got a neat job.

Hope you got pleanty of extra pages in your passport.

my last one had about 50 stamps for thailand over a 5 year period, ( and several from prev work places that are not too "popular" recently)

get just the right "doses" of bkk.

I'll try to check in here when I am in bkk and see what our schedules are.

My condo is about half way ( if you think of it from looking down) between the monument traffic circle and MBK.

A nice walk once the sun goes down. ( usually, we make it as far as the Asia hotle for the Brizillian buffett when walking)

Yeh< the chicken and stiky rice is my favorite, ( I plan to have some waiting for me when I finally get in>>> thanks TO NW schedule, probably after 1 am).

the stiky rice there seems better than I can make at home ( calif) I even went so far as to get the "spitoon" and basket set up.

maybe its the water. ( or is that olympia beers line?)

My "plan" is get my business done asap and head for phuket, as I only have a few days this trip.

but you know how "plans" go in los.

I did not know about the red carpet club in nrt, any chance my NW card will get me in there?

If nothing else, I'll spend the appx 2 hr layover looking around, watching all the "intersting" ( more polite than saying goofey) transit passengers milling around.

as for bringing some tequlla, I do bring some cuervo gold with me, but my "friends" at my favorite bar seem to inhale it in record time.

I think if my box of check baggage only slushes it is ok, but any clanking ( more than one litre) mite be noticed.

I do note my calorie intake seems to go way down while in los also, probably more fun stuff to do than eat. smile.gif" border="0

(the law of the jungle and nitelife. "eat or be eaten" more or less) ( or both if u are lucky).

DAmn, I better get some work done, Looks like I am rambling.

Archived