Airline Lounge Programs

I am currently using Continental's President's Club but they have left me hanging a few times (particularly in Tokyo.) I have heard that Northwest's WorldClubs are a better deal. I have also heard that NW's clubs are better represented in Asia (through partners etc..) Anyone have any experience with them? Pros and cons? Thanks all.

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: dsyms ]

dsyms--

NW is the largest US-based commercial carrier (hence their previous name, Northwest Orient Airlines) in Asia.

They do have quite a few lounges/clubs in most all of the major asian gateways and many secondary asian airports as well..

However, NW has an agreement with KLM (royal Dutch Airlines, N.V.) and KLM has few (if any) actual lounges in Asia. Therefore, the benefit of belonging to an airline that has an "alliance" is greatly diminised.

In my opinion, I like the Star Alliance. United, Thai and Singapore are the major member-airlines in asia. With all three of these airlines combined you'll have access to a lounge virtually everywhere you go in Asia. More placees than NW or even the NW/KLM alliance.

The "One World" is a close second since they have British Airways and Cathay Pacific as major carriers in the asia markets.

Forget "skyteam", which is Delta/AeroMexico/Korean. Too limited and not enough coverage.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Have any of you been to the NW club in Narita lately/ ( looks like a shared club from the NW site)

I will be there nov. 7 and want to know if things are better than I remember them.

(last time, it was crowded, smokey, and IMHO I was better off in the main waiting area)

I have a life card for NW world club, but so far the times I have used it, they are about a low 3rd in compairison to Cathay pacafic, EVA lounges)

BTW: UPSer: what kind of food/perks do you get on UPS planes? sounds like a cool way to travel.

pasathai--

Our long-haul B747's and B767's have a small galley (same same as normal commerical jets, just smaller in size). You can bring whatever you like to eat (and/or drink) on board and put in into the freezer or chiller. When YOU want to eat, you put your food into the microwave or oven.

You can order a "crew meal", which is normally a regualr First Class meal, ahead of time and it will be boarded for you. Occasionally, there will be a 'menu' so that you can make an "ala carte" dinner if you wish.

Since internationally we fly to/from the same airports as your normal commercial traffic, our food is ordered from the local catering agent (in BKK it's Thai Catering, in SIN it SATS, etc.)

Therefore, the crew will just bring their own food items and stow it. The upside is that you eat whatever YOU want, whenever YOU want.

For me personally, I usually buy a bunch of food from a street vendor on my way to the airport or other times, I order some food from the restaurant [like Foodland soi 5] and get it "take-away"

BTW- no liquor of any type is allowed on board, period. No music or movies either. I bring my portable DVD player and my CD player. There are power ports on board.

Seating is first class sleeper seats [we bought them from United Airlines] or business class seats with 127 rotation [bought from British Airways]. B747's jumpseating is upstairs only. B767, jumpseating is immediately behind the cockpit in front of the main bulkhead section #1.

Flying into BKK is actually quite nice. We land and park on the apron adjacent to the Thai Cargo 'village', which is next to the Domestic Terminal Building. Normally one or two Thai Immigration Officers will come out in a mini-bus/van and drive us to the Main International Building to clear entry immigration formalities there. We don't wait in the normal passenger line, rather we are taken to the crew clearance office (behind the visa on arrival section). Once you clear Immigration, they will drive us back to our plane and our personal luggage is unloaded [from the lower cargo desk, aft smalls section] and brought into the Cargo Building where a Customs Officer will clear that for us as well. Sometimes we get lucky and it's already cleared for us before we get back.

Total clearance time is about 20mins to 30mins max.

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: UPSer ]

UPSer:

Thanks for the detailed info, bet ups gets a lot of job seekers after reading that.

Getting to bring your own food sounds neat, bet the aroma of some of the street food makes ur friends on the plane think twice about ordering pre-made stuff.

do your flights arrive at all times, or just set times.?

How long do you get to stay in los.

Being "on ur way" in about 30 minutes must be great, I usually don't get to the street in under 1 hr.

When will you be in los next?

quote:

Originally posted by pasathai:

Have any of you been to the NW club in Narita lately/ ( looks like a shared club from the NW site)

I will be there nov. 7 and want to know if things are better than I remember them.

(last time, it was crowded, smokey, and IMHO I was better off in the main waiting area)

I have a life card for NW world club, but so far the times I have used it, they are about a low 3rd in compairison to Cathay pacafic, EVA lounges)

BTW: UPSer: what kind of food/perks do you get on UPS planes? sounds like a cool way to travel.

I think there are 3 clubs you can use with your NW card. Try the one near the other duty free shop (5 min. walk toward gate 28).

cool.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by dsyms:

I am currently using Continental's President's Club but they have left me hanging a few times (particularly in Tokyo.) I have heard that Northwest's WorldClubs are a better deal. I have also heard that NW's clubs are better represented in Asia (through partners etc..) Anyone have any experience with them? Pros and cons? Thanks all.

Continental and NW are partners. You should be able to use NW clubs now. Call up Continental and verify.

Archived