Tropical Plants

gobbledonk

Yes, that's plants FJ, not pants ::

There is more to Thai vegetation than the ubiqitous palm tree. The size and variety of many of the tropical plants which are so abundant in Thailand leaves an indelible impression. The problem with many Asian plants is that they are a little too successful, and can cause problems in environments outside of Asia, particularly if given the right combination of heat and precipitation (ever tried to cut back bamboo ?).

Has anyone had any success creating their own Thai garden in Farangland ? Plants like Orchids are notoriously hard to maintain, but surely there are other options for those of us who would like to have our own tropical retreat in the backyard. For those of you who are currently labouring under several feet of snow, please be assured that I am not taking the mickey - honest ::

The Balinese garden is a reasonably common sight here in Oz, but I suspect (hope ?) that many of the species on these pages are unique to Thailand and its immediate surrounds:

Siam Tropicals

Thaiising your Garden

Thai Plants

Any informative feedback is most appreciated.

Cheers,

Artie

Stop fighting it and come over here and try!

Seriously, I suspect like you, I love gardens. One of my dreams when coming here was to have a house full of plants and a jungle for a backyard!

Not to be, Thais just dont want to waste a scrap of land they could sell to a condo, hence, very very few tropical gardens!

Took the Darlek to KL an dSingapore, she couldn't get over how beautiful all the plants where, WHICH she could have in Thailand if only able to clear a few square metres of concrete!

I would love to have my own little jungle here, but Thais just don't understand whats possible!

JB

>> Has anyone had any success creating their own Thai garden in Farangland ? <<

I like tropical gardens too, but unfortunately in the north European climate there is no way. :(

in the north European climate there is no way

Cmon Pete - get motivated ! Get yourself a glasshouse, 10,000 quid worth of hydroponic gear, a dedicated aircon unit and you'll be set.

The cops will have you under surveillance 24/7, but I'd imagine that wouldnt be a new experience for you :neener:

Not to be, Thais just dont want to waste a scrap of land they could sell to a condo, hence, very very few tropical gardens!

Hi JB,

I admit that the examples I have seen were a tad artificial (what domestic garden isnt, though). If you get a chance to wander through Dusit Resort in Pattaya, you'll see what I'm on about. They seem to have a fulltime staff of gardeners, and it shows in the finished product. There is also a traditional (and expensive) Thai restaurant just off Beach Road which has a beautiful garden.

I've never been into the Thai jungle, but it would be great to see these plants in their natural setting. Surely they havent concreted over ALL of the remaining countryside ? ::

I don't know that there is a gardening tradition in Thailand, what gardens there are, are heavily influenced by the French, English and Chinese. Still I'm sure there are plenty of lifesytyle fashion victims around who stick a stone Buddha (imported from Indonesia) in there garden and call it a 'Thai garden' Don't get me started.

Still my old man is in the Territory and he brings back plenty of orchids when he goes over. Customs make it very hard in Australia to import most things.

Hi Artie,

here in the not so tropical Hunter Valley NSW I've got the start of a tropical/SEA garden, but not specifically a Thai style one.

Lots of palms, 4 or 5 sorts of clumping bamboo plus some black bamboo in pots, lots of gingers, euphorbias, globbas and curcumas, banana, bouganvillea and more.

I did have some pitcher plants for a couple of years but they did n't make it thru this summer while I was away in LOS.

talking of bouganvillea, have you noticed the way in Thailand and Cambodia it is often planted with several colours together, so that as the stems grow they merge together, and it looks like you have many colours from the one plant....something I've never seen here in Oz so I've just planted some more to try it out, see if it works in a few years !

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I seem to remember the Hunter Valley as having a 'reasonable' climate, from a mild winter in Newcastle to something *nippier* in Scone (I have relatives in the latter town). While its hardly tropical, the main impediments in the southern parts of Oz seem to be keeping the water up to the plants and keeping frost off them. I honestly dont remember the bouganvillea 'hybrids' you speak of : will try to keep my eyes open for them the next time I'm in Asia. I guess my main fascination with tropical gardens is the shade and serenity they bring us - for me, its the overall effect rather than individual species.

Good luck with your garden.

Still I'm sure there are plenty of lifesytyle fashion victims around who stick a stone Buddha (imported from Indonesia) in there garden and call it a 'Thai garden' Don't get me started.

Doh ! As always, Markle, you've caught me out ::

No Buddhas, elves, gnomes or statues of young boys urinating (!) in my garden, I'm afraid - just a motley collection of plants that I'd like to imbue with some sort of theme. Having a landscaper in to do it properly would cost me something in the order of $AUD 10K, given the size of my block, so I'll just keep toiling away and let nature do the rest.

You are right re Customs being tough on imported flora, but I can see their point. What astounds me is the *crap* that some people try to bring into the country - unbelievable.

Talked to the GF about this and she agreed that there was no real 'tradition' of Thai gardens, however a feature of any Thai home was that there was always a fragrant tree be it jasmine or a 'jum pa' (sp?) a type of magnolia. So something worth considering.

Archived