Teaching English in Japan

gobbledonk

One other thing. Sorry guys but your use of different currencies muddies the issue. Its bad enough trying to convert pounds to Baht but when Yen, US$ & then AUS $ are introduced it just becomes too much for this simple man. What is the Baht to the yen now anyway or the US$ or the AUS $ or the .........

Cmon, Ultras, you've got the same access to Google as the rest of us ....

The following figures come from XE.com :

1AUD = 80.48 yen

1AUD = US 0.76

1AUD = 29.69 THB

Simply put, $AUD 40K equates to a little over 320K yen, assuming that you can get the quoted rate of exchange. The Aussie bleeder has really taken off against the Mexican, er, US dollar of late, so these dollar figures are more attractive than this time last year, assuming low inflation in Japan (dont they give 0% loans in Japan ??).

It all comes back to being willing to take the knocks over a 12 month period in order to learn the language and customs of a country which, even in these difficult times, still has high paying jobs for foreigners.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simply put, $AUD 40K equates to a little over 320K yen, assuming that you can get the quoted rate of exchange.

You're one zero short there sir.

3,200,000 yen!

so these dollar figures are more attractive than this time last year, assuming low inflation in Japan (dont they give 0% loans in Japan ??).

Housing loans at 1 percent over 35 years. You can also borrow against your pension!

It all comes back to being willing to take the knocks over a 12 month period in order to learn the language and customs of a country which, even in these difficult times, still has high paying jobs for foreigners.

I know many expats here 12 years and they don't know a lick of the language.

High paying = high cost of living = same same most places.

The Land of the Rising Schlong is still a Land of Opportunity though -- for business and pleasure! :hubba:

>Housing loans at 1 percent over 35 years. You can also borrow against your pension!

I was told there is no way a foreigner can get a loan.

Japanese national on 5 times less money than me can get it but I can't. The trouble is - they don't want to spend on anything. I know of some guys who hooked up with Japanese girls just to organize loans for cars or whatever.

National Australia Bank in Tokyo would give me a loan to buy a property in Oz. In addition to 1% Japanese interest rate, they will charge 5% or so "loan maintenance fee" and level it up with whatever going rate in Oz is. ::

3,200,000 yen!

Shit ! Sorry Roppongi - sheer laziness, and I apologise to all concerned.

What is the largest freely-available denomination for the yen ? I remember thinking in Indonesia 'They need to start printing 1 million Rupiah notes !' ......

think_too_mut said:

>Housing loans at 1 percent over 35 years. You can also borrow against your pension!

I was told there is no way a foreigner can get a loan.

By who? Totally incorrect.

Foreigners can own property and can get mortgages relatively easy through either:

1. The Government Housing Loan Corporation (Jyuutakukinnyuukoukou)

2. Local banks (Or foreign if you want to pay more!)

3. Unions

Apart from a stable income, the main requirement of foreigners is they have 'permanent residency.' To get this, in theory, one has to have lived in Japan for five years and the application takes six months to be processed. Once you have this visa, you're free to live here forever but you still need a re-entry permit. As I said before, if you're in the Japanese pension fund (nenkin), you can also borrow from it.

artiew said:

3,200,000 yen!

Shit ! Sorry Roppongi - sheer laziness, and I apologise to all concerned.

What is the largest freely-available denomination for the yen ? I remember thinking in Indonesia 'They need to start printing 1 million Rupiah notes !' ......

10,000 yen.

Easiest way to convert it is just drop the last two zeros and you get $100

Aussie dollar plus 10-20%, subtract 10% for the US.

National Australia Bank in Tokyo would give me a loan to buy a property in Oz. In addition to 1% Japanese interest rate, they will charge 5% or so "loan maintenance fee" and level it up with whatever going rate in Oz is.

Nice choice of financier, TTM ::

The CEO of NAB resigned the other day after pressure from all and sundry over the multi-million dollar foreign currency losses and his *earlier* blunders. They need you money to finance their losses and his payout, I'm afraid :cussing:

Cicutto exits NAB

>By who? Totally incorrect.

Sorry, here is the clarification.

I was told "no loans for foreigners" by other gaijins in the office. They are all on 1-3 years stints, so, assuming I will stay here not longer than 3 years, they were correct.

If I stay here 6+ years, I would probably save enough to buy a house in Sydney, cash.

>Nice choice of financier, TTM

The CEO of NAB resigned the other day after pressure from all and sundry over the multi-million dollar foreign currency losses and his *earlier* blunders. They need you money to finance their losses and his payout, I'm afraid

Not a choice, too early yet.

NAB is one of Oz banks that has presence in Japan.

Have to check with WBC, ANZ and CBA.

StGeorge does not exist here.

StGeorge does not exist here.

Keep an eye on St George - they've gone from being a potential takeover target to a major player in their own right, at least here in Oz. Doesnt seem that long ago that they were 'just' a Building Society.

Given the Lilliputian size of the Oz economy (2% of world GDP), its interesting that we are reputed to have the safest banking sector in the world. Even with recent revelations, NAB and its peers will continue to turnover billion dollar profits in an industry which has seen very large global players teeter in recent years.

None of this helps you with your finance needs, but it allows me to forestall the inevitabilty of having to actually do some *work* this weekend (sigh ...) ::

Archived