Teaching English in Japan

gobbledonk

To stay on the subject, 3200US$ per month for teaching English might suit a youngish couple who would share accommodation. In places cheaper than Tokyo or even countryside, it would not be too bad.

If they are on a mission of learning language and culture, even better.

One of my American colleagues did that when he was 24, stayed for 3 years teaching in countryside and 6 years on, just in October last year, he was here delivering technical presentations in fluent Japanese.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my American colleagues did that when he was 24, stayed for 3 years teaching in countryside and 6 years on, just in October last year, he was here delivering technical presentations in fluent Japanese.

Hi TTM,

That's the kind of testimonial that many of the language schools could use to tempt prospective teachers - thanks for that.The last time I posted re English teaching, many claimed that it was a woeful career move and a waste of 12 months ::

>That's the kind of testimonial that many of the language schools could use to tempt prospective teachers - thanks for that.

Oh, there is even more to it: riding on his knowledge of Japanese and being generally technical (nothing spectacular at the beginning) he got a job at corporate headquarters in the US as a manager for all support issues coming from Japan. He's on money he could have only dreamed of without his Japanese.

What blows me away is people who can spend several years in a foreign country and not make the effort to learn the language - surely thats one of the big pluses ????

Talk about the British Raj - I suspect the same mentality is alive and well at the top echelons of the big multinationals. Good news for your friend, tho ::

Archived