increased customs restrictions

Jonesey, Wouldn't worry about it! Haven't seen any evidence of "extra" vigilence. I cam in from Bris last week loaded to the eyeballs with "imports" and didn't give a second glance. Always try to bring stuff in suitcases as Packed boxes elicit an enquiry. It helps to be a farang too as returning Thai's get a little more scrutiny. If ya need help with drinking the Bundy, who ya gunna call?

My last visit to BKK was in July. I've been 10 or 12 times and never been questioned or had my bags inspected on arrival.

However, on my return to US via Chicago I was selected for a special customs inspection. I think it was because I'd been to Thailand for 10 days and delcared less than $200US (which was corrrect). Or, it could have been because almost every visa stamp in my passport was for Thailand?

Anyway, I got a junior cutsoms lady who first questioned my carvings made from water buffalo horns. She called over a senior lady who told her they were fine because the water buffalo is a domesticed animal. OK, on to unpaking the rest of my bags.

Everything looked fine until she came upon on my sanuk notes. Oh oh, forgot to ditch those. She starts reading the first page - let's see, "go to Edens for anal sex", the list of best "blow job places". Then there were all of those pages on Cambodia. Did you write this? No I said sheepishly. I just got them from the Internet.

Well, she had had her fun and passed me through. Glad she didn't see the condoms and KY. wink.gif" border="0

pattayaman--

Congratulations! You were the winner of a Customs COMPEX exam...

From their website...

the United States Customs Service has established a program to randomly select a small percentage of international passengers for examination. The program, called Compliance Examination (COMPEX), is designed to validate our knowledge of smuggling trends and patterns.

It's like the IRS' TCMP, Taxpayer Compliance Monitor Program..

I know that in SFO they do it based on a computer generated random interval. I can't speak for ORD, but in SFO it's random.

Of course, if you don't have anything illegal and you've disclosed all your goods properly, Customs can look and audit all they like. No problems!

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

PS: that's not to say that it can't be slightly embarrasing! Next time ditch the notes! In the airplane bathroom is good.

Archived