increased customs restrictions

G"day from Australia. Has anyone heard of a change in customs requirements at the Airport ? The reason i ask is that my wife went back to Thailand to visit the family over Christmas and says that things have toughened up with Customs . She usually takes enough smallgoods etc to start up a delicatessen !!! cheese ,processed meat etc and said that nothing was allowed in anymore !! No place to dump the stuff and big fines for the persons involved . At first it sounded like a scam by the Thais for a bit of extra tucker over Christmas but she thinks

that its the new Govt. Im getting worried about the couple bottles of Bundy rum Ill be taking over soon .

Any comments would be apreciated

Cheers

Jonesy

quote:

Originally posted by Ckrisg:

Jonesy

Was there last month and some restrictions re foot and mouth (UK) so customs were not letting processed meat/food from UK in,

Chris

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: Ckrisg ]

I always find this funny. Thailand, a country where foot and mouth is common clamping down on goods from the uk.

I remember being in Phuket earlier this year and reading a small one paragraph piece in the Bangkok Post about an outbreak of foot and mouth in Phuket. The health minister said they had everything under control...Two days later there was a whole page devoted to the outbreak in the UK and the Thai health minister this time was saying that precautions would be taken, and certain items would not be allowed in from the UK...

Also Anthrax is pretty common here, especially on the borders of Laos and Cambodia, certain areas of Issan have been classed an "Anthrax epidemic zone"..don't know what the US postal workers are making all the fuss about!!

Cheers

Roger

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: Roger ]

I have not seen any marked increase or change in policy regarding the importation of items into the Kindgom... I would suspect that it's just "luck of the draw" when you get to the inspector... The old story of what do you look like, what does your luggage look like, where are you arriving from, etc...

Thai customs posts on their website any policy changes regarding the importation of goods into the Kingdom. The last update was a few months back regarding a clarification on the rule pertaning to importing "figures of Buddah" manufactured in foreign lands for use or sale in Thailand.

---UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Meat imports are not allowed into Thailand from any country via Don Meuang. I have heard anouncements on planes from Singapore, Vientiane and Amsterdam as well as Heathrow.

Even sandwichs from the airport you just left are not allowed. Strange considering that both Anthrax and Foot and Mouth are endemic. TIT.

Old hippie--

Thailand being sooo very restrictive about meat coming into their country is almost as funny as the lady at the DMV telling me that speeding in Bangkok is "no good" and good drivers "no speed"... LOL

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

I think what you and your luggage look like may have something to do with it.

I always look like a poor tourist ( not the backpacker type though) and my checked baggage is a strong card board box with good tapeing job. i rarely get stopped other than the "what in box" question.

the few times they actually looked, i still got to pass. ( and had booze, computer,, cd player, cell phones, ect.) maybe I looked/acted like it would not get them anywhere hasseling me.

still, you never know what they feel like doing.

but, by the same token, I really got searched going out of san diego this time, seems I "fit the profile" and was selected for extra security checks. but still, I got to wonder who they are hiring to do the security work in usa. was not even questioned why I had a sat com phone wrapped up in some clothing, other than so it would not get broken.

pasathai--

I can tell you that at Seattle-Tacoma airport some of the security screeners are actually illegal immigrants shocked.gif" border="0 ... The FBI arrested one lady a two weeks ago using fake INS papers. She's from Colombia. The newspaper reports that the FBI is "confident" that further arrests are "imminent and pending"... Hummm...

Now, let me see here.. the person inspecting my documents is actually here on fake documents herself? How ironic is that?! mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

UPSer:

Sounds very familiar, the "lady" that was rifeling though my carefully packed box seemed like engsish was not her language of choice. when she handed my passport back to me, I almost expected here to say "would you like an order of fries with that?"

Archived