Bkk-tough squad...

Pharcyde

Hi,

Just something I got off the (secure) bangkok post server today. It seems as if somebody behind the curtains has inspired himself to create a new "black squad" on bangkok streets...Sounds like a good idea for an action move...hehe...

"Black-shirts patrol back streets

Residents welcome new police squad

Manop Thip-osod

Black-shirted members of the police "pa cha da" squad search young men in the Bang Khen area last night. - SURAPOL PROMSAKA NA SAKOLNAKORN

A newly formed black-shirt police unit is patrolling the back streets and alleys of Bangkok at night.

The pa cha da squad has been working only a few days, but already has won praise from residents _ and struck fear into a few denizens of the night.

Squad members do not wear the usual khaki uniforms but don jeans and black T-shirts. These are topped with black bullet-proof vests and golden police crash helmets, both with the word "police" in English. They also wear holstered handguns on their waists.

The crash helmets were added yesterday, concealing a more sinister looking black knitted cap.

A 40-year-old grocer in soi Phahon Yothin 52, Tassanee Boonsirikul, said she got a shock when squad members turned up in front of her shophouse in their knitted caps and black shirts. She thought they were robbers.

When she learned the truth her fear turned to relief, and she wanted them to patrol her soi more regularly because there had been thefts and brawls there.

"I am glad they come here, and we promise our full cooperation," she said.

Pol Col Vichai Sangprapai, who was behind the idea of the black-shirt squad, said he asked his men to wear crash helmets on top of their knitted headgear so they would be more easily identified as police.

The squad initially comprises two officers and 22 men, two each from Sai Mai, Bangsue, Prachachuen, Taopoon, Don Muang, Kannayao, Kokkram, Suthisarn, Bang Khen, Thung Song Hong and Phahon Yothin police stations.

They patrol on 11 motorcycles six hours a night, from 8pm until two the next morning.

Pol Col Vichai said they were not storm troopers out to kill criminals or use brute force against real or potential offenders. "It is just a deterrent show of force. If we come across an offender, a purse snatcher for example, he will be arrested," he said.

People acting suspiciously were being stopped for questioning and their backgrounds checked.

Squad members are patrolling back streets and alleys, pedestrian bridges, buses and bus stops and other spots frequented by criminals.

Pol Col Vichai said police would gain basic information on local communities, which would be helpful in tracking down lawbreakers. "That is why people whose behaviour is suspicious will have their photos taken and details recorded."

In Bang Khen on Wednesday night, the squad arrested one Burmese illegal immigrant and seized 10 motorbikes suspected of being stolen.

They also stopped 15 teenagers for questioning.

Kampa Kaewpathee of soi Rarm Intra 39 said there had been thefts in the area and he welcomed the police presence. "It is like having a police kiosk in our neighbourhood," he said."

Good thing, or not....I get a bed feeling of this...

Greetings,

Pharcyde

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>Pol Col Vichai said they were not storm troopers out to kill criminals or use brute force against real or potential offenders.<<<

there is a certain irony given the reputation of the man, one of the most feared coppers in town... :p

but, well, they might have some sort of a point there. in some districts the violence and crime is reaching very scary heights.

i only wonder if there might not be some better long term solutions to that than just those purely reactive measures. but then unfortunately we might come into the realm of politics... ;)

yeah, hehe...lets not touch the taboos..right?

Anyway...It just gives me the image of a dark science fiction film, where coppers in black hide in the sois of the night whilst seeking out week links of society to beat down on. Imagine the make up of the dark troopers...all in black with tuff biker-caps and a desert eagle at the waist...hmmm...

Surely a hardliner approach to the violence thats happening in the streets, only solving the "leaves" of the reason, not the stem.

Then again, they probably wont be patrolling downtown sukhumvit, will they??

>>>Then again, they probably wont be patrolling downtown sukhumvit, will they?? <<<

nah, they will be patrolling in the described areas, as the man is responsible for overseeing those districts mentioned in the article.

on lower sukhumvit they are a lot more subtle - and there are anyhow not that many serious crime and violence problems due to the extremely high amount of plainclothes coppers.

>>>Anyway...It just gives me the image of a dark science fiction film,<<<

trust me, the proportions the violence has reached here in some areas are out of a dark science fiction flick. i could tell you stuff... :eek:

well, the way how i see what the whole thing is about:

due to the drugwar the amount of drugs got seriously reduced. but the underlying reasons why such a massive amount of people used drugs are still very much in existence.

before people used drugs to vent their frustrations - now they do it with the only thing available - violence.

the last 8 months or so have brought a surge in mindless street violence and crime which is rather unprecendented. but the situation is so serious that many areas outside the tourism and expat circuit are not safe at night anymore for the average somsak.

police just tries to curb it the only way the government seems to be able to answer - with more violence...

expect some serious changes in the next years.

Archived