Bkk-tough squad...

Pharcyde

what works here is that people mostly do not go out alone, only in larger groups. also it sometimes helps that if you are known to be connected to a larger group which will inflict gruesome retribution.

That sounds a lot like Sydney, and probably every Western city with a population in excess of a million or so people. Still feel safer in Asia than I do in most Western cities - ignorance is bliss.

Your friend with the machete in each hand reminds me of a Chinese martial artist I met back in my 20's, when I had the good fortune to study Wing Chun, a Southern martial art popularised by the fact that it was Bruce Lee's introduction to Gung Fu. Please, no Bruce Lee posts :)

Anyway, this gentlemen had a fearsome reputation as one of the best streetfighters in Hong Kong, and as a man who had never backed down from a fight. I suspect that the Chinese have a talent for embellishment, but if even half of it was true, he wasnt a man to be crossed lightly.

The whole class assembled for the visit, only to be somewhat *underwhelmed* by the sight of a short, pot-bellied man in his early fifties - hardly the Western ideal of a martial artist. I must have brushed by several thousand men just like him in my brief time in Hong Kong, never sparing any of them more than a glance.

Wong Shun Leung isnt with us any longer, but he definitely knew how to 'walk softly and carry a large stick'.

WSL Retrospective

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

The village I grew up in and many others around had many caravan parks on 'Fen Droves' populated with pikies or gypsies (not the romanitc idea of them in horse drawn carts) who are a law to themselves and pretty feared and best avoided and nowhere near London, Leeds etc (although I think they must have them?) some years ago a passing through clan were causing all sorts of grief to locals then an Irish lot moved in and it all went quiet as it was thought they bitch slapped them so to speak. A few weeks ago a Postman was stabbed to death in a pub brawl with a few pikies and bit off more than he could chew :(

>>>A few weeks ago a Postman was stabbed to death in a pub brawl with a few pikies and bit off more than he could chew<<<

what did he do get into trouble with them for?!

i mean, everything what i have heard of them pikies is that one better stays out of their way other than getting spliff?

where i grew up there were some folks one never got into trouble with - the gypsies - because you could never win against them in the end. even if you would break all odds and win against one - they would still get you in the end.

Re Gypsies, If you are committed you can beat Gypsies. Gypsies inspire fear in people because people are afraid of the unknown. I agree that they have a tight network,impregnible one could say however the Czech and Slovakian government keep the Roma pretty cowed and they didnt prosper in Germany in the 1940's

STH

...not totally related, but anyway...

latest news from the danish tabloid press here. Hells Angels and Bandidos now have acquired "francises" is both Bangkok and Pattaya. They are specializing in dealing with pirated goods.

Next time you guys buy a fake brand name thingy, remember you might just happen to be a supporter of the wrong gang.

Hope the Bkk-tough squad sniffs around in their direction too...

Archived