Graves disease!

bangkokbutcher

Evening all,

I aint been on here for a bit mainly due to the wife having been diagnosed with "graves disease".

She just aint been right since giving birth to our 3rd little 'un last February.

So after a number of blood tests, iron top ups and a few other things, they finally got to the bottom of it.

OK so our GP has filled us in on the basics of what it is and how to control it (drugs or radiotherapy or operation), but was wondering if any of you guys (or gals) have either heard of, know of or are currently dealing with it with someone in your family.

I know it's not too serious and that it stems from the thyroid gland not operating effectively, but that is about the long and short of it, until we get this information pack sent through explaining all of the ins and outs, pros and cons etc etc.

thanks in advance. ::

Hi,

I dated a girl with Graves disease a while back, was under control then, but until she was on the right medication she was having many problems, mood swings, loss of weight, depression, drove a few people away from her, but now under control.

There is a load of info on the web about this, here's a link to a good site: http://www.mayoclinic.org/graves/

Take care

Thanks for the link, I have found a lot more info on it now.

I had tried a search, but for the uk only, not too much available on it here, it seems that the National Graves Disease Foundation site (www.ngdf.org) is full of info on the disease and related thyroid issues.

Looks like I need to prepare for a bit of a rocky ride then, but then again, during and after all of her pregnancies she got pretty 'hot' under the collar, so to speak, but we got through them ok.

I just really hope that the medication works out ok for her, because the radiotherapy option would dirve her to the point of no return, because she wouldn't be able to see our kids for 3-6 months due to the treatment.

She would be scared to death of being put under the knife.

Thanks again.

Back in the US I had 2 friends who were diagnosed with Graves disease about a year apart.

One had more difficulty getting the medication set so that everything worked out OK than the other did. But, the important point is that once the medication was set properly, both friends were fine. So, you may have some problems for a while but things should be fine in time.

Thanks for the reply TM,

yeah it kinda gathered it is all a bit trial and error to start with till they find the right meds.

I must admit though, things are pretty good at the mo, she is feeling better than she did now she is taking the first course of drugs.

I most certainly do hope things work out in the long run...

:up:

• 2 weeks later...

Well nearly 2 weeks into the course of medication that the wife has been prescribed, and I have already began to notice some improvements in the way she looks and she has also (thankfully) put on a few pounds.

She is also feeling 100% better mentally and physically.

I know it's early days yet, but I am sincerely hoping that things do continue to improve.

Archived