Flying UAL to BKK-my impressions

JJsushi

TEDBKK--

Do you rally like that First Suite that much?? I find that since I do a lot of reading on board that it's hard to reach the console pocket where I keep my folders.. For me, I actually prefer the C cabin to the F cabin.. sounds weird, but true...

Actually, truth be told, I like the upstairs C cabin better... Just more quite, less traffic and such.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

PS: the other nice thing about going UA from SEA to BKK is that although the flight number (875) originates in Denver (DIA) that leg of the flight is on another aircraft. The B777 from SEA to NRT/BKK is actually towed over from the "S" terminal after it arrives that same morning from NRT and unloading pax and cargo for customs clearance. Aircraft servicing in done at the "N" terminal where UA has their equipment, so your plane is totally serviced as you board.

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: UPSer ]

quote:

Originally posted by UPSer:

TEDBKK--

Do you rally like that First Suite that much?? I find that since I do a lot of reading on board that it's hard to reach the console pocket where I keep my folders.. For me, I actually prefer the C cabin to the F cabin.. sounds weird, but true...

Actually, truth be told, I like the upstairs C cabin better... Just more quite, less traffic and such.

--UPSer
laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

PS: the other nice thing about going UA from SEA to BKK is that although the flight number (875) originates in Denver (DIA) that leg of the flight is on another aircraft. The B777 from SEA to NRT/BKK is actually towed over from the "S" terminal after it arrives that same morning from NRT and unloading pax and cargo for customs clearance. Aircraft servicing in done at the "N" terminal where UA has their equipment, so your plane is totally serviced as you board.

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: UPSer ]

Well the First Suite is definitely not perfect. For example the fact that you have to have the seat pushed far forward to recline means a pretty snug fit for the legs. Also compared to, say, CX, the seat is just not as comfortable. But for me it's much better than biz class, and no one climbing over you, you really do have a lot of space to yourself.

I've never flown on a UA 747 so can't comment about the upstairs cabin.

Re flight 875: the aircraft for 875 is shared with flight 310 between Chicago and Seattle, at least some of the days. I came in from Chicago yesterday morning (in biz class on a 777, which was a damned nice change of pace for a domestic flight!) and they announced that "for those folks continuing on to Tokyo" that would be the aircraft. Arrived at gate N9 and would depart 2 hours later from the same gate. Now, UA flies non-stop from ORD to NRT, so why anyone would do this is anyone's guess but I guess they provide that as an alternate route in case ORD->NRT is full. UA really does leverage SEA, if AA had done this they'd still have a viable SEA-NRT business.

TEDBKK--

I see that UA does indeed take that B777 inbound from NRT-SEA onward to SEA-ORD-SEA, but only on selected days. I've over at SEA in the morning on many days and I catch the tail number of the plane at the "S" terminal (which is their UA876 from NRT) and it is usually one of three tails.

UA does a pretty strong load from NRT to SEA and they also rely upon it to cover any DB volume from their SFO/LAX flights, since you arriver in SEA in the early AM, UA can still put you on a Shuttle flight down to SFO/LAX and still have you at your destination in a short window. On several returns from BKK/NRT, I've had some DB's from both the SFO/LAX flights on board, so it seems like a good idea.

If you can plan it, I'd recommend you try the C cabin upstairs on the B747-400's. UA no longer has any B747-400 OB's rather has only OP's in their Trans-Pac fleet.

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by UPSer:

If you can plan it, I'd recommend you try the C cabin upstairs on the B747-400's. UA no longer has any B747-400 OB's rather has only OP's in their Trans-Pac fleet.

Unlikely. I fly United really only for 2 reasons: (1) between NRT and BKK, because JAL (AA codeshare) is CRAPOLA. (2) To burn up miles obtained from activity (1). I was on UA between Chicago and Seattle on an award ticket and am flying in and out of Seattle on UA 875/876 this time on a fluke (having discovered their upgrade promo edscribed in an earlier post, while investigating obtaining an award ticket).

I'm an AA guy (Executive Platinum, 2 million lifetime miles, etc). Unlike on UA, such high-milers are something of a rarity in Seattle on AA so the local airline staff really pays attention and treats you right. With the demise of AA's Seattle-Narita service I'll likely go from San Jose, or CX out of YVR when I'm feeling like using up miles. [PS I *have* flown numerous times on CX and OZ 747s upstairs business class. Being upstairs is not a plus for me, takes too long to get off the plane.]

When I'm feeling like earning some miles the best option of all is AA's codeshare on EVA. C and F are both upstairs on a 747 and it's very cozy and comfortable (well, never flown C only F).

We should meet up sometime. On Sunday I'm heading back to BKK from SEA for a long (2 or 3 month) stint...

Archived