Flying UAL to BKK-my impressions

JJsushi

I recently flew UAL to BKK for Thanksgiving and I was appalled!!! The flight attendants were all old matrons who could not walk down the aisle without knocking u in the head. The ingflight movies sucked. The food sucked. They were cheap with the food and beverages in economy. The flight and landing were great. The FA's were old and wide. The FA's were all my grandmothers age. The FA's had to be the ones who were saved by their union contracts from the recent job cuts. Even the Asian FA's were old(they weren't fat just old). Have I mentioned how disappointed I was with the FA's?

SIA is still the best in my book

JJ, Yessss, agree, United is the worst airline...period. They are EMPLOYEE owned and I think this has been a real problem as far as getting the grandmothers out of the cabins.....I have pretty much given up on all US carriers, as the food and attendants are usually sub par....my current fav is JAL, quite cheap at the moment and above average service and food!!! All time fav has to be THAI, but they don't fly from here crazy.gif" border="0

My friends all have United Credit Cards and frequently fly free, but considering their stories of shoddy treatment(some real horror stories!!) not sure it is such a deal.....btw, I am flying on a free ticket(korean air) in 3 weeks, one way. Plan on buying a roundtrip in Bangkok-should save a little bit on price and will already have my "return" ticket in hand laugh.gif" border="0

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: traveldog ]

All--

I've flown UA to BKK from both NRT and SEA (UA875/876) on their B777-200 service... Since their entire BKK-based flight attendant base was closed last month (furloughed until further notice) this route is manned by either NRT or SEA based flight crews...

I too have noticed that the crew "age" is more "senior" than that of other regional carrier. However, I can't say that I have noticed that UA's inflight service is anything less than efficient. While it's true that none of UA's cabin staff will be confused with SQ's "Singapore Girls", I still think that UA is a decent carrier.

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

I agree on the older fa, on NW some of them look like they would give you a lecture if you did not finish ur food.

I was on NW from bkk to sea a few days ago.

I don't think NW has thought out some of their

"plans"

We all were given the little acc kit ( toothpaste, sox, sewing kit)

after changing planse in sea, myself and several others got pulled aside after the xray to get our scissors) ( had to be all of 3/4" long) confiscated.

Seems like pretty poor planning on NW part, since they already had deleted the shaving stuff ( afraid we mite give the crew a shave?)

but did not plan ahead about the sewing kit.

Overall, though NW was ok this time, but I would still reccomend CAthay pacafic or EVA.

quote:

Originally posted by jjsushi:

I recently flew UAL to BKK for Thanksgiving and I was appalled!!!

It you want better food and more room in economy, try American Airlines. The food on AA internationally is quite good, and "more room in coach" is in fact a real bonus, you have the same amount of room as the vaunted EVA Economy Deluxe. [unfortunately you then get to connect in Tokyo to AA's codeshare with JAL (which is just DREADFUL) on to BKK -- but at least that part is shorter.]

As for UA: I've had nothing but good experiences with United lately. And ESPECIALLY on flights 875/876 between BKK, Narita, and Seattle.

Yes, it's true that they're now staffed with the more senior FAs due to having laid off the BKK and SIN-based staff in the wake of 9/11. But the service has been friendly and efficient in my opinion.

Of course, my perspective is bound to be a little different -- I don't fly coach. United's business class on the 777 is really quite nice. Beats the CRAP out of, for example, JAL's business class in terms of comfort, entertainment, and food. Also way more comfortable than business class on EVA, Asiana, or even Cathay Pacific (though CX is rolling an improved business class that will be hard to beat).

United's First Class on the 777 competes quite favorably; they have the reduced-capacity "suite" concept, though it's not as sumptuous as, say, Cathay Pacific.

And frankly, I enjoy the American-oriented service delivered by Americans sometimes. It's kind of comforting.

I'm headed back to BKK on Sunday in F on UA875 -- can't wait.

PS In case anyone's interested, United is running a deal on 876/875 now. If you buy a round-trip ticket in business class that originates outbound from BKK on UA876, they will discount the ticket and then provide you a free upgrade to first class. Example: typical RT fare between BKK and SEA is about 115,000 baht. United in BKK sold me that ticket for 93,500 baht and then provided the free confirmed upgrade to first class. Other routes and maybe coach to business class might also be possible, I don't know the exact terms of the offer.

quote:

Originally posted by TEDBKK:

Of course, my perspective is bound to be a little different -- I don't fly coach. United's business class on the 777 is really quite nice. Beats the CRAP out of, for example, JAL's business class in terms of comfort, entertainment, and food. Also way more comfortable than business class on EVA, Asiana, or even Cathay Pacific (though CX is rolling an improved business class that will be hard to beat).

I usually fly Thai or SIN to Asia. The only reason I flew UAL was for the double mile promo and the $550 tkt,I am about 30k status miles short of 1k status(next trip to BKK in DEC should top me off). I figured what the hell they couldn't be that bad since I fly them domestically with no problem. I also don't mind paying for the coach tkts to Asia because they are relatively cheap on a cents per mile basis. I then use the miles to fly domestic. Saves me a ton of money especially when u have to get a tkt with less than 14day notice.

The service was efficient but it still sucked! The FA's barely smiled(only when u disembarked from the pane), they had very short tempers and frquently snapped at some passengers. The attitude was "I have been a FA for 30yrs so I know what the hell I am doing"! They were OLD and WIDE and they kept bumping me in the damn head as they rumbled down the aisles. Give me a petite SIA, Thai, or JAL girl anyday who serves u with a smile even if u get on her damn nerves! Did I mention the FA's were my grandmothers age?!

Once had the misfortune to fly UA from London to USA for work training about 5 years ago. Could not beleive it. I've been flying since i was a wee kiddy due to Dad's Foreign office job, so was suitably stunned when finding my seat to find those hideous old headphones where the sound literally comes out of the armrest and is piped down these tubes to the horrible little earplug things - does anyone else remember these? I couldn't remember the last time i'd seen them.........holy shit, the plane was some old crate obviously with 5 across seating in the middle, lovely, and ......and and and

stewardesses - dear god, what the hell was this airline thinking. Fair enough, you're always going to struggle to outbeat SIA (love the hair off the neck....oooooh), so i wouldn't mind if they're old and ugly just so long as they were actually any good. the horror, the horror.

Flew Vietnam air once, great FA outfits smile.gif" border="0

good flying

coops

I fly for most of my time with Asian Airlines. TG, SQ and MH are my favored as these airlines having direct flights to Chiang Mai, so I can avoid a stop over in BKK

I avoid American Airlines, not because of their mature staff laugh.gif" border="0 but their air hostess are talking too much on their PA system and I always thinks myself “Shut the #### up and start servicing the drinks” mad.gif" border="0. The worse Airline seen so far was British Midland as they physically throw the snacks at you.

quote:

Originally posted by coops:

Flew Vietnam air once, great FA outfits

Had to comment on this one. Last year the TW (Thai Wife) and I went to Saigon from BKK on Vietnam Airlines.

I was expecting a rusty old crate held together with paperclips and duct tape, flown by decrepit old men and staffed by peasant girls dressed in rags and serving up gruel for the in-flight meal.

What a shocker to get on a new plane maintained in Singapore and flown by Australian pilots, and staffed by quite literally 3 of the most stunnaceous women I have ever seen anywhere, period. When I first spied them in their lovely neo-traditional Vietnamese garb an audible gasp escaped my lips as the breath rushed out of my body.

quote:

Originally posted by TEDBKK:

staffed by quite literally 3 of the most stunnaceous women I have ever seen anywhere, period. When I first spied them in their lovely neo-traditional Vietnamese garb an audible gasp escaped my lips as the breath rushed out of my body.

then you winced in pain as you TW cracked you in the ribs laugh.gif" border="0

Archived