A Night Out: Soi Cowboy, 29 February

Well, I haven't seen anyone else chronicling the "last night before the next last night before early closing" (as it turns out, with the new 15 March--beware!--deadline having been announced), so I'll start off.

A comet over Soi Cowboy, bargirls sobbing with despair, customers rending their garments in dismay: none of these things were in evidence last night. Instead, everything proceeded pretty normally, so I proceeded pretty normally to Long Gun.

I like Long Gun. The girls are reasonably friendly, not overly pushy, the shows are usually o.k. (more on this later), and there's usually a good vibe and nice mix of residents and tourists.

LONG GUN

Unfortunately, this was not Long Gun's best night, and featured a couple worrying aspects which could bode ill in the long run. First, this was the only time I've really been pestered to buy drinks (for myself, mind you) as quickly as humanly possible. This is very annoying; I speak Thai with the staff, I'm obviously a resident (not that this is any nicer when it happens to a tourist), and I come in often enough that a fair number of people recognize me. Why antagonize a fairly regular customer unless you're starting to adopt the Patpong model of trying to soak people for as much as possible? Of course, it could have just been an especially irritating dekserve, but the people I was with thought it was LG's way of dealing with the possibly-soon-to-be-diminished closing hours.

The other unfortunate aspect (more of a misfire, really) was a new "model" show. I hadn't seen this before, but it consists of several girls wearing diaphanous red dresses sashaying up on stage, one after another, and striking "model" poses. The result was almost unbearably dull. Please, someone make them stop this!

Didn't see the cheerleaders, didn't see the cowgirls (perhaps these shows are on hiatus, perhaps I didn't stay long enough), but my favorite, the "Hell's Bells" show is still excellent. If you're there for this, then by all means sit at the bar: your chances of being used as a prop are very good. Happy at last, we headed to Shark.

SHARK

Shark is usually very enjoyable, but this time was a bit low energy. Some lookers, though. But only good enough for one drink and it was off to Black & White.

BLACK & WHITE

I had literally never had a drink here before. I guess what I could see from the doorway never made me want to give it a try, but this time we did, and were glad to have done so. There was a Tilac vibe, happy customers, friendly girls, some good lookers. Did I just catch it on a good night? I'll be back, but it was getting late and Tilac (the bar, that is) was calling.

TILAC

I've noted this in other reports, but Tilac is my favorite bar in Soi Cowboy. Some good dancers, some good lookers, and the friendliest girls anywhere. One recommendation: don't get disappointed when the girl you've been drinking and canoodling with gets up to dance; every time this has happened to me she's given me a great show, so sit back and enjoy. As usual, I had a great time and the girls, one in particular, were very friendly. By the way, my new friend had absolutely no idea what was going to happen with early closing. Even at 2:00 a.m. on Soi Cowboy there was no certainty about what would happen on 1 March.

Enough for now. I remain,

A Poor Judge of Character

I was out last night, the Cocktail lounge was a meeting point to discuss what will happen. Shark was good, had a great time, Suzie Wongs, shit, Fat Bastard is half the weight of most of the girls dancing, sad.

Overall most of the girls where limp hearted, not wanting to pester any one for a fondle, except for Shark Bar, where they enjoyed being groped!

JB

Archived