Your Most Humbling Moment ?

sidsanuk

My wife does the same thing. She's even got me in the habit of giving 5 or 10 Baht to the more pathetic cases, blind singers and such.

I did meet a guy in the gym in Lumpini Park a few years ago who told me that his brother ran a beggar's scam. He said that every beggar in Bangkok was placed and controlled by the local mafia. This guy's brother paid for the right to drop off his beggars in predetermined begging spots within a designated territory. At the end of the day he would drive his van around to pick up his beggars and take them back to a place where they were warehoused and fed and allowed to rest up for the next day of begging. Whoever didn't make the expected amount for the day didn't get fed and no one ever complained because the alternatives for beggars w/o begging space are much worse. Don't know if the same holds true for blind singers who can basically get around on their own. I got the feeling that he was talking about stationary beggars assigned to spots. Anyway, that's what I heard from this guy who spoke English very well and claimed to work as a bouncer in a private club in Pat Pong. Urban myth? Maybe. If it is, I think it's a pretty good one.

Sorry to go off the topic.

I understand much the same as Condom King. I also understand some of the beggars pull in 500 to 1000 baht per day in high season - compare that to my ex-girlfriend who works six days a week at a Sukgumvit traval agency for 200 baht per day.

Also, realize that for a Buddhist, donating to a beggar is a way to "make merit" - similar to giving food to a monk, or making an offering at a shrine, temple, or spirit house.

Cheers!

Bangkok Butterfly

I don't give money to beggars in the LOS, here in my home town, or anywhere else I go. I have never felt guilty about it. I give money to charity on my terms, when I choose. I have a certain resentment towards beggars; I feel they are trying to manipulate me into feeling pity through various tricks. Moreover, I am often suspicious (as the other poster confirmed on this thread) that much of the money goes to someone else other than the beggar. Beggars in the LOS are just another scam, another of the multiple ways that visitors are hustled in the Land of Smiles.

JG

Sorry Sid, didn't intend to hijack the thread, but please allow me a final word on the beggar subject.

Even though I do suspect that it might be an organized business I can well afford to give 10 B to a blind guy or a poor unfortunate handicapped person and that's what I do.

I know that people have strange occupations here and I'm constantly amazed when the wife points at someone who's just been hit by a car and says, "That her job. Now she get paid."

quote:

Originally posted by sidsanuk:

Enough of beggars. Any other humbling moments?

Sid

I will disappoint you sidsanuk:

I was in Udon with my gf, eating at a food stall. Came this poor beggar, dirtblack, clothed in rags. He wayed and wayed and annoyed me. My gf had this strange "asking for approval look" in her eyes she never tried out on me. I was curious where this would lead.

She made him sit at an other table and ordered kuytiaw nam for him. Took the man less than 5 minutes to eat his soup, came back to our table wayed several times and went off.

Costed me an extra 25 baht, made me feel good for her, she did the right thing.

I've had various humbling moments in LOS.One time I got on the wrong bus and ended up miles away in the wrong direction.This Thai lady showed me the right stop to get off as she was getting off at this stop.Ok no big deal.She then walked me to the bus stop going back in my direction and waited with me until my bus arrived.So nice.

I sometimes give beggars and blind singers money though I have heard about the scam with the crippled ones on foot bridges etc.I refrain from giving them money as someone obviously has to take them there and back to wherever they came from.Can,t help feeling sorry for the poor sods though.

I hope I spelt that correctly :-)

A recent incident with my GF made me feel very humble. It might be an interesting topic to share experiences on ?

We were shopping at patpong market. I only get over to LOS once a month so I am always keen to stock up on CDs and stuff. Also got myself another fake Rolex. Steel this time, as the last Gold one has all the Gold paint rubbed off :-)

Anyway...the moment.

There we were shopping away, well I was. I had asked my GF a few times if she wanted anything. A belt, a watch..stuff like that.

No. Did not want a thing. She does not earn much as an office worker and is very careful with money. Looking back on it, although I only bought 6 CDs and a fake watch, I guess by her standards I had spent quite a bit.

She then turns to me and asks for 10 Baht, might have been even less. I was digging around for change and found a 20. No...just a 10 she says. So I found one.

She then trots off to a beggar that I had not noticed. What a sorry sight. You may have seen the guy. Lost both legs at the knee and dragging himself through the shopping crowd almost getting trampled on.

So she drops the coin in his begging cup and on we go.

I have to say, that little incident made me feel...what....a whole lot I can tell you?

Small, spoilt, selfish, arrogant...who knows. many mixed emotions. But I love her for that gesture which was just spontaneous and totally natural for her..

It really made me stop and think for a moment.

Sid

My most humbling moment in Los came as a result of crossing swords with the mighty buddha. It was my first time in los, and i had been with my first thai girlfriend for just over a week.

Anyway, one night, i woke up very thirsty in the middle of the night (about 8am). Staying in her apartment, i checked her fridge for something to drink but it was empty, i couldn't drink the tap water and couldn't go to the shops as i didn't know where the keys where and her door would lock itself shut after me. Also i didn't want to wake her up. I had only one option.

Next to my girlfriends two buddha statues were two bottles of green fanta, that she had left out as an offering. Not fully understanding thai ways i drank the fanta with the intention of replacing it later on. When she eventually woke up she was very angry, even more so when i tried to pass the missing fanta off as a religios miracle, and claimed buddha drank it and not me.

With this she went ballistic, and started throwing my things out into the street. By the time she had finished, i was left picking up my underwear and clothes off the floor outside, to the delight of several passers by who all cheered the girl and jeering me.

Suffice to say, the relationship was over

Archived