Your Most Humbling Moment ?

sidsanuk

Ok another small attempt to put this thread in the right direction.

Most mornings on my jolly old treck to the sky train I recieve a military type salute from this security guy guiding big cars in and out of office and bank buildings.

Not exactly humbling I know, quite bizzare in fact.

quote:

Originally posted by ricosuave:

...When she eventually woke up she was very angry, even more so when i tried to pass the missing fanta off as a religios miracle, and claimed buddha drank it and not me.

Big mistake - ricosuave !! You shouldn't have made fun of the Buddha or any Buddha images!! It is very important to keep that in mind at ALL time while in Thailand.

quote:

Originally posted by BkkShaggy:

Big mistake - ricosuave !!

But you have to give RicoSuave some credit. That sounded pretty funny as I read back his comment aloud and thought to myself..."It wasnt' me...I swear"...LOL

RicoSuave, I understand your humor. Don't worry, my TGF doesn't understand much of my humor as well. Besides, I'm sure you'll find another TGF. In closing, beware of making any fun of the Buda or Royal Family...not a good thing...

BTW, has anyone seen Tong Po? I've been looking for him to challenge him to a traditional Muay Thai fight to the death... tongue.gif" border="0

Not exactly a humbling moment for me but more for a toffee nosed twit.

I was invited to a dinner party the other week and took Mrs Groover along - rightly proud of my Thai beloved in a room full of lardy English women. Anyway, the red wine flowed and the pretentiousness was rolled out. Politics....religion...blah blah bloody blah....

So after they all talked bollocks for a while, the hostess (all big hair and teeth) turned attention to my lady in the middle of their religious witterings and said: "Tell us, in one sentence, the meaning of Buddhism."

Well my lady is a well-travelled and educated woman, but I thought this was a bit much. Anway, she let them have it as only a Thai lady can - smiling sweetly she described how Buddhism, for her, was a way of living your life rather than a religious order. A set of codes and manners rather than beliefs in creation and the Almighty.

Cue bemused looks all round. The silence was swiftly broken by a tosser who commented: "Yes, but he is a bit of a fat lad that Buddha isn't he?"

Before a Groover fist was forced down his throat (ever the politician me), my beloved smiled sweetly and said: "Not really. That is the image in the minds of the uneducated who see the Chinese image of Buddha as our Buddha."

Exit left one red-faced arse.....what a girl!

Groover

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: Groover ]

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: Groover ]

One night in a beer bar I have buy a jasmin necklace from a guy with no legs, the one they give to the lord Buddha, I smell it and give to my Thai girlfriend so that she can offer to Buddha, I look in her eyes, oh! shit I am in big trouble here she was very angry at me so I tell her to explain to me why and she tell me that you don't give Lord Buddha use thing you don't want anymore. I was very astound to ear that so after thinking a few second I got out of the bar to the guy and buy a other one and give it to her so that she can offer it to Lord Buddha. Ended with a jasmin necklace around my neck all night long and a big smile from the girlfriend. LOL

quote:

Originally posted by ricosuave:

Suffice to say, the relationship was over

I remember you posting this story on Delphi last year and I mentioned it to my Thai lady who is also a devout Bhuddist. She agreed with I that you were probably right to leave the girl anyway if you were treated like that. Had she cared more for you some forgiveness would have come on her part and your original mistakes forgotten.

Cheers,

quote:

Originally posted by Palatkik:

I remember you posting this story on Delphi last year and I mentioned it to my Thai lady who is also a devout Bhuddist. She agreed with I that you were probably right to leave the girl anyway if you were treated like that. Had she cared more for you some forgiveness would have come on her part and your original mistakes forgotten.

Cheers,

I also related the story previously to my girlfriend..she was bemused, and said

"why problem, Bhudda he not need any more"..

On a similar line, I was given considerable pause by my g/f a while back. Like many with a long term g/f, I had given her many gifts (gold, jewelry, expensive perfume etc)..however, a while ago we were in chatuchack, where we found a small stall selling pictures of the present king as well as past ones. I knew we had no picture of the king in the house (*everywhere* has at least one picture of HM), so told her she could get a picture for the house. Funnily enough after considerable thought, discussion with the shop owner etc, she picked a framed picture of Rama VI. Total cost 500 baht. After I had paid, she turned and said that was the best present she had ever had in her life, as she had never had her own picture of one of the Thai kings..

-j-

The BGs can be disarmingly nice and thoughtful at times, probably because us cynical hard-boiled farangs expect to always see the mercenary side of them.

When last in LOS I rang one gal the day before to tell her i was arriving and would meet her in the bar at 8pm. When I got there she'd bought me a big bunch of flowers and one of those flower garland things they put on Buddhist shrines.

There was cheap bastard me with nothing but a wink and a come hither smile.

I know, I know, she was only in it for what she could get out of it, right? But I felt like a real cheap Charlie.

Archived