Chiang Mai for the Day??

Roger

> i can't remember if [the Royal Palace] is just above or just below doi

> suthep i think below).

It's just above the temple. Actually real close to where the road becomes narrow, where you first get to some souvenir market area, and then to the 3 way split I talked about earlier.

I've never been to the palace actually. It seems to be mostly closed to visitors when I'm there. But do give it a try.

> Leave the afternoon free to walk aound inside the old city walls

> and eat at one of the many good restaurants around for lunch and

> dinner.

Yes.. though there aren't *that* many 'proper' restaurants inside the old city. Mostly smaller shops, stalls, etc. There are a few exceptions of course. Your lady may want to eat some traditional Chiang Mai fare.. One place that's famous (and IMHO over-rated) that is inside the old city is Ruen Phen. (Or Huen Phen in Northern lingo) It's on Ratchamankha Road, that's the road that's one-way West to East, parallel to Ratchadamnoen road. A place I can recommend that has both good Thai food AND Western Food AND local Chiang Mai food (check the special menu) is Kafe Restaurant, in Moon Muang road oppostite the huge Rydges Hotel. It's almost like a miniature sports-bar type setting. Strange for such a place (or any place) to do decent Thai/local fare as well as Western. It's fairly simple, perhaps if you're there only one day you want to splurge a bit more for dinner.

So for a fancier trendier setting try the restaurants along the river (Riverside, Good View and others). If your lady likes Western food and you're in for a nouvelle-cuisine-ish fusion-food kind of trip then do 'The House', also on Moon Muang road, but further North, past Sompet Market. Really classy, nice amicable place, not overly stuck up like you get sometimes at the high-end. Main courses go for 200-500 baht (Most in the 250-350 baht range) which puts it pretty much at the highest possible end for Chiang Mai.. But seriously innovative stuff.

Check out this web-site for all kinds of stuff on Chiang Mai: http://www.chiangmainews.com

Cheers,

Chanchao

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I suggest you either arrange to rent a car from the airport, or at least one with a chauffeur, who will be able to show you more than just one sight. try to visit one or 2 temples in town (Wat Phra Singh and Wat Chedi Luang, i'd say), then doi Suthep (though i fail to be impressed totally by it, and the view is most often hazy...or smoggy), then the loop Chanchao talks about, the Mae Rim trip. I told someone here about a great little stop over for food on that road, a bit after the elephant camp, and before Queen Sirikit floral Gardens. Can't miss it, it's built over little cascades. Picturesque and romantic, you got it!

This road tops it for me too, i can see myself living somewhere along it for a few months every year, when retired. The roads climbing up from samoeng are absolutely gorgeaous with mountain vistas. You may not have time for the Samoeng extra, but the idea is to see a few things that will want to come back for a longer stay.

If on your own, you can do worse than buying the Nancy Chandler map to Chiang Mai, on sale everywhere. Everything we tell you about, is pretty much in them, and a lot more for the next time.

Hope you will tell us how this day all shaped up.

PS: for food, yes, the antique house, near the Diamond Riverside is cool, but i am still licking my lips from eating at Mo-Oh-Cham in the Night market, slightly south of the Night Bazaar. No fancy decor, just food... and tiny little giggly waitresses.

This thread got moved to ARTS AND CULTURE??????????????????????

I already feared this topic had some kind of abduction coming, but then to Arts & Culture???

anyway:

> do you know how long Doi Suthep is opened in the afternoon?

6pm.

(Great time to be there too, say between 5 and 6pm, if you can't make it real early morning.)

Note that this refers to the TEMPLE. (Wat Prathat Doi Suthep). The road & mountain remains open, but you can't go UP anymore after 8pm. (However if you're already up there you can come down anytime for as long as you manage to dodge the park officials. ;-)

It's a great place for smooching with girls in the evening you see.. there are view viewpoints where you can see the whole city, thousands of little lights, the moon, the stars, and so on. But then somewhere between 8 and 9pm the forestry department officials come break up any goings on. (BJ's, etc.) :)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hi Chanchao,

"This thread got moved to ARTS AND CULTURE??????????????????????

I already feared this topic had some kind of abduction coming, but then to Arts & Culture???"

I didn't move the thread. In the start it wasn't obvious if it belonged to NL, Travel or A&C. However, if you read the thread now it seems that A&C is the best forum!

:beer:

elef

Mod GD

elef said:

Hi Chanchao,

"This thread got moved to ARTS AND CULTURE??????????????????????

I already feared this topic had some kind of abduction coming, but then to Arts & Culture???"

I didn't move the thread. In the start it wasn't obvious if it belonged to NL, Travel or A&C. However, if you read the thread now it seems that A&C is the best forum!

:beer:

Probably that Watmeister ::

Maybe travel ??????

elef

Mod GD

Probably that Watmeister

--------------------------------

Ok, I had a great book to read and some good music in Chiang Mai in the evening, but usually, it's wat AND TWAT meister. There are 24 hours in a day..... :up:

Chanchao, the section is about regional infos too, as my intro indicates. We just have not spent time or figured out how to make this understood in the title. Arts, culture and regions?

That's quite "Provincial" I do imagine. ::

I do like Wat&Twatmeister though :neener:

I can see it now............ Wat & Twat Tours ....... 55555555

So Arts, Culture and Provinces ?

Archived