New laptop, which one?

tonychang

Acers have poor screens IMO and do not look very bright, compare to a sony and see the difference. Consider Novatech or rock, they build some decent machines and you get more for your money than named brands. Quality is hit and miss with all makes, had to send sony back twice and compaq before that three times.ibooks are rugged but not the slimline aluminium one, system x is almost crash proof -peter

tonychang said:

Dell service in UK no good.

Heard from a few sources that celerons arent much cop.

nothing wrong with a celeron unless you are running some serious civil engineering softwear or full on gaming. I think a lot of people are talked into thinking that they need much more than they really do.

Only a personal opinion chief, but you can get a lot more downloads for your dollar if you go for a standard PC with keyboard and monitor setup. Unless you specifically need a laptop for travelling about with.

I've had 4 laptops nicked from my flat and now can't get insurance, but since I'e gone for the normal set up the local shell suits have left me in peace.

Cheers

I think a lot of people are talked into thinking that they need much more than they really do.

Agreed, NorFly. We've been conditioned to go for the 'more power' approach with each new machine, and thats usually equated with buying the top of the range processor. I personally prefer to see things like more RAM, bigger hard drives (particularly in a laptop) and things like CD or DVD burners built in. Once we got past the 500MHz mark a few years ago, I suspect that it was only the high end users who really needed the extra grunt that the latest and greatest provide. I'm also reminded of the craziness of it all when I look at some of the gear that sits around at work, largely unloved, despite the fact that it was state-of-the-art when purchased, and cost an absolute bomb. Unlike 67 Camaros, this stuff doesnt get better with the passage of time. ::

Archived