New laptop, which one?

tonychang

Since my last post have decided to get a new laptop here in UK but which one?

My price range (kee neeow) is mainly Toshibas and Acer.There are a few others (dell.packard bell,fujitsu) around the £600 mark but all are mostly celerons which I dont really want.The Acer has AMD so thats top of the list at the moment.

Any sugesstions please?

Guest lazyphil

Try Dixons in Lion Yard--just watch out for the dosser who hangs around outside the car park--I swear he doesn't by dog food with the money I give him ::

I have to disagree with your view on Dell service, I have 4 Dell desktop computers and 1 laptop in use in my business. During the last 2 years I have only needed their service dept twice, the first time the problem was sorted out instantly over the phone (and didn't have a problem reaching them) the second incident was a faulty battery on the laptop, after a phone call where a few quick tests were gone through, a new battery arrived the next morning by courier. :) I personally find their computers reliable and their service excelent, but to each his own. Whatever you decide on, do not under any circumstances buy a Time computer :( unless you want to find out what bad service really is. ::

Hi TC,

Without wanting to start a religious war, have you considered an Apple iBook or Powerbook ? They are more expensive than their Intel competitors, and the GHz rating of the G4 looks paltry compared to the corresponding Intel/AMD chips, but the important thing is that they do the job, and are very well built.

The iBook did have some quality control issues - my display went completely AWOL at the 9 month mark - but Apple seem to have gotten on top of this, and I dont know of anyone who has had a genuine warranty claim disallowed. The issue with 'generic' laptops is support - whatever you buy, just make sure that someone in your town will take responsibility for any shipping/insurance which may be required in the event of a warranty claim required 'return-to-base' work. Common sense stuff, but I suspect that we've all suffered for taking the lowest purchase price as the total cost of ownership - it just isnt so.

If you already have an investment in Windows software, stick with the PC-based laptops. Apple have some very slick marketing, but its a pain in the butt having to buy 'Made for Mac' copies of software you already have for the PC, particularly if most of what is on your PC was pirated from work anyway :grinyes:

Damn that Linus Torvalds - he has corrupted me in ways I cant begin to enunciate. ::

Okay, I'm a cheap bastard (especially when it's my money being used) and I bought an Acer with an AMD 2400 processor. It's perfect for me, number crunches pretty quickly. Because it was the cheap one, it's just heavy (I need to build muscle mass anyways). Don't trust the damn Acer case, the strap has broke on me (and the laptop hit da ground). Actually my laptop was dropped three times while it was in the case (no dents, still works nicely).

One note, I just recently bought 2 DVD 9's and while it will play on a regular DVD player it won't play on my Acer DVD ROM drive (and it's not a regional coding problem).

<<burp>>

I too am a cheap bastard, mainly due to not having not much money.Just fancy that processor so Acer still top of the list. Not bothered about the case(not made in Thailand are they?) got an old targus bag already(dosnt draw much attention).

Do like to game and watch films a bit which my P3 128Ram struggles with a bit.

Cant be arsed with a Apple, too pricey and prefer to go with the crowd and any software can be obtained from Kazaa or some such etc...

A far as the weight goes, if it means its solid built then aint gonna squabble bout half a kilo here or there.

Cheers

Archived