Who's been to the Full Moon party on Koh Phangan?

limbo

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this a joke? you would get a lot of replies on loony planet. There is a link somewhere to lots of photos taken there and that is enough to put anyone off going, noisy kids having a big party and leaving the place strewn with piles of rubbish, not for anyone over 30 I would say-peter

One of the guys reported on it some time back on Nanapong. He said he'd never go again -- mostly obnoxious drunks making a lot of noise and trashing the beach. He said it was worth seeing though, just to see how "culturally sensitive" some of the backpacker crowd really are.

I've been to two. One to see what it was like, and the second one just to give it a second-chance.

Absolutely horrible IMO.

Used to be great, almost laid-back affairs when they first started, but nowadays, full of obnoxious young back-packing trash hell-bent on getting off their face and doing as much environmental damage to the local environment as possible. (The environmental damage isn't probably intentional, to be fair, but the post above about the rubbish is true. It looks like a war-zone the morning after). A few farangs have died when trying to go swimming after indulging in a cocktail of drugs and alcohol.

The place is teaming with undercover cops these days, a few of whom are in league with some unscrupulous bungalow operators. The cops plant drugs in people's bungalows and then "arrest" the farang in question and then go halves with the bungalow owner in the bribe the farang has to pay for freedom. Also a lot of undercover cops selling drugs then busting farangs.

On a positive note, when one of these parties is on, a great time to be in Samui as the whole place empties out for the night and heads across the gulf to Phangan.

:(

Frogshit! Its got nothing to do with "those types" bashing it because there's no sex tourist scene there... WTF?!

Its about people treating the Thai environment (or, a small part of it), with a complete lack of respect. I don't suppose many people who go there and contribute to the mess during the party help clean it up the next day. I guess its easy when there's a local person prepared to clean up other people's shit/mess for 100 baht or so.

The local Thai's I've talked to on Koh Phangan hate it, apart from the money they make out of it. But its a classic case of Thai people putting up with stuff they don't like in order to make a few baht.

Sure if people like it, go and have a good time. But point 1: Treat the local surroundings with a bit of respect, and point 2: Don't put us all in one basket by saying we don't like it because there's no sanuk scene there. You could line up 50 of the best-looking, sweetest hookers in Thailand on the night and I still wouldn't go.

There ARE other categories discussed on this board apart from shagging Thai chicks, you know! And this is one of those other discussions.

You think that some of those young backpacker guys don't do the sex-tourist thing too?

::

They may say they don't to hairy-armpited Helga from Hamburg but there's a fair proportion of them that bat for both teams, (i.e. backpacking sex tourists not ac/dc).

::

Archived