Who's been to the Full Moon party on Koh Phangan?

limbo

I've had some really good times at the FMP. I've found that the nights running up to the party can be better fun as the actual night of the moon is a bit overcrowded, but come about 7 am when the "daytrippers" have gone home party''s keep going and can be a good laugh.

Cheers

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You think that some of those young backpacker guys don't do the sex-tourist thing too?

It hilarious going to Gulliver's over on Khao San Road.

You can sit there at the bar, and spot day's new arrivals into BKK. Highly amusing watching two young guys, about 19, travelling together, being hit on by the freelancers in the place. They guys think "this is great, 2 gorgeous young Thai girls are talking to us", :grinyes: and then, more often than not, you see the guys leaving with the girls. I am pretty sure the girls don't tell the guys that money is going to be asked for later! :shhh:

It'd be interesting being a fly on the wall later when the baht is demanded!!! :doah:

I saw neither more nor less garbage at phangan than anyplace else in the kingdom, but please go ahead bitch about FMP being so PC wrong & environmental unfriendly :p

Anything else to add with the berlin love parade, rio carnival or olympic winter games for that matter ::

Frogshit eh? Thats a new one for me ::

Yes there's a bunch of trash left on the beach after the parties, but what do you expect after such a big event? The thais themselves aren't exactly the best at picking up their shit, just take a look around lumpini park or in the good ole san seab to see how well they take care of their "environment".

Pluck your average punter off his seat in a go-go and see if he wants to check out an FMP. 99% of the time he's not interested coz its just not his bag, hence my original statement. Not much different than your generalization of everyone at the FMP's being young backpacker trash hell-bent on getting off their face me thinks :neener:

I heard from someone that Full Moon parties are a blast. I just think with the whole drug use thing going on I would avoid it. I guess I just spent too much time looking on the web at web pages about men losing thier lives to the "Big Tiger".....uh, and don't forget the Amnisty International web site that lists the victims of Thailand's strict drugs laws. I never want to be standing in front of the MiB and saying "let's settle" over drug charges. :help:

Just my two cents........hey everyone, be safe =)

Rug

I have been to three full moon parties. two in 2001 and one in 2002.

First of all there are several places on the island where people are 'fool mooning'. Most people congregate on the strip of beach called 'haad rin'. this is the most commercial, most crowded part of the island.

The parties are in my opinion more hype than anyhting else. I expected a 20,000 strong rave that would rival most parties i had ever been to.

I would say it was about 6000-7000 people. I met a lot of great people. Should you want to shag a falang chick this is where to go.

The build up to the party is better than the party itself, the party does leave the beach a mess, but I was more than impressed by the 'thai' clean up crew that went to work at about 700am cleaning the beach of bottles and crap falangs had left behind. At every party I saw a couple of police busts [didn't stick around to watch] and there were bg's and kathoeys partying. Definitely bring your own girl as the selection is wack. I have also stayed on samuii durring one full moon and it's great because the bars are somewhat dead making the punter to bg ratio really nice.

There are several smaller beaches on the island were the congregation is more suited to drugs and/or sex. One year I had quite a time, I will not elaborate. Find it yourself if it still exists...

It'd be interesting being a fly on the wall later when the baht is demanded!!!

----------------------

IF any is demanded. I was hanging around a few freelancers in 1999, and we often went to kao San Rd, as they liked to have fun with the type of young westerners you describe. All for fun and sex. So, that basically, the old guys at Patpong or nanaP were fo course paying for it, with BFs sending money, and the Lonely Planets type got a pretty good and free introduction in the definition of the word "sanook".

Again, I have seen way too many pre-conceptions that tend to make us believe that young backpackers are so naive about the scene, or prude or PC, while the usual punter got it all figured out.

I dunno, read OH's rant about the Si Saket girl, how much more clueful is he after 20 years hanging around the Nightlife? No disrespect to him, I mean this scene can be a total whirl, and not always easy to see it as it often really is, while being in self-denial gear.

"...I dunno, read OH's rant about the Si Saket girl, how much more clueful is he after 20 years hanging around the Nightlife? No disrespect to him, I mean this scene can be a total whirl, and not always easy to see it as it often really is, while being in self-denial gear...."

I think you are confusing a few people here...I have not yet posted about the Si Saket girl, may in the future, as I am still nuts about her etc...the latest one I mentioned was a girl here in the USA, the WTF girl was from Kanchanaburi...hope this clears things up. ANd no offense taken at all :) you are right. If someone had told me prior to last October I'd be this involved with a woman in LOS, I'd have told them they were crazy, but it happened to me! Got sucked in, let my guard down what ever, but it does happen, hell, know guys here since the Vietnam war, who never got sucked in, then at age 70+ they get married, go figure...it happens, some it works out for, some it doesn't...I also agree with the self denial mode, it does happen, we've all been there, in LOS or elsewhere, but it does happen...self denial is always a tough call, either you are right or wrong...and your instinct might be wrong most of the time, or right, so you never really know...but sometimes you have to give your heart a chance and trust your feelings...ranting now o.k. time to sleep...

Archived