Warning: Robbed by an Old Lady

Roger

Well, I feel really stupid and I know that I should have known better after being here for the best part of 10 years but tonight I was robbed by a little old Thai lady!!!

I was driving out of the car park at the back of Big C near Huay Kwang and I noticed a well dressed old woman by the side of the road in some kind of distress, she was waving at my car in a way that she suggested she needed help. Well, the Good Samaritan in me took over and I pulled over and wound down the window. Once the woman had worked out that I could speak Thai she explained that her car had broken down and she was trying to find an ATM but could not get any money out and could I give her 200 baht for a taxi to go and collect her husband?(The alarm bells should have rung but unfortunately they were a bit late coming!!). I didn?t like the idea of giving her money and said I hadn?t any on me? she then asked if I could give her a lift back to her car. I said I would, what harm could this old woman do me anyway??

Once in the car she put an umbrella she was holding across her knee and very conveniently across my wallet which was in the center console too!!

Suddenly I came to my senses and realized that I was not back in England anymore and a nice old Thai lady just simply would not ask a farang for assistance let alone jump in his car!! I reached for my wallet and put it safely in my pocket? What a relief?I thought!!!!

She got out of the car about a mile down the road but I still felt the need to check nothing was missing from the car, then I checked my wallet?. The fast fingered old hag had managed to empty it; I had just been to the ATM in Big C so I knew how much should have been there!!! Well, the amount was not so large but would have paid for a good night out on the town so I stopped next to a policeman who was directing traffic a 100 meters along the road. I explained what had happened and he jumped in the passenger seat and directed me to drive into oncoming traffic (I enjoyed that part) to try and grab the geriatric old bitch before she disappeared. We failed; she was nowhere to be seen!!!

Speaking to a few Thai friends tonight I have heard that this is quite common in Bangkok and they say that I was lucky she didn?t pull a gun on me!!! Or find a group of Thai thugs waiting when she jumped out of the car. Apparently these things are often reported in Thai newspapers? Well, I wish The Nation and the Bangkok Post had covered these stories!!!

So next time you see a nice old lady in distress give her the finger and drive over her feet!!!

So next time you see a nice old lady in distress give her the finger and drive over her feet!!!

Roger,

Sorry to hear this story, but thanks for sharing it here.

A very similar think happened 2-3 years ago to a friend of mine in BKK, very similar to yours.

He is 17 years in LOS and he was fooled as well.

But I would be careful in giving her the finger though, by doing that you might miss driving over her feet :)

BB

> So next time you see a nice old lady in distress give

> her the finger!!!

Never.

Just because there are some bad apples doesn't mean that good people aren't in serious need of help at times, and for me I will continue to help.

I vow do my part in not letting Thailand slip to a culture of fear where someone could be in serious need of (medical) help and can't find someone to even open the door because they're afraid to get robbed.

I prefer to get robbed 10 times if it means being able to help someone who really needs it just once. Fortunately in Thailand the odds are quite the reverse: you will be able to help 100 genuine people before running into one bad apple.

And at the risk of causing a threat-jack: I think not giving in to fear of muggers when being in the opportunity to help is on the same level as the principle of not giving in to terrorist's demands. Because once you do, you lose a whole lot more than when you do what's right.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Archived