PM says 'Thai' sucks!

From the Phuket Gazette:

THAI “sucks” says Thaksin

BANGKOK (AFP): Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra today slammed Thailand’s national airline, Thai Airways International (THAI), for its high ticket prices, uncomfortable seats and poor service.

In an interview today, he said, “If I were not a public figure, I wouldn’t fly with THAI. It sucks.

“Business class on other airlines is better than THAI’s first class. Our fares are also higher. If THAI flights are not available and I must take another airline, I am very happy,” he said.

Commenting on THAI’s competitiveness, Thaksin said, “Its income depends mainly on economy class which can compete because it is no different from the same service on other airlines.”

[ May 25, 2001: Message edited by: zwoel69 ]

I'd probably be pretty put off by them myself, if they had almost blown me up.

"Hey Somchai, crank up the A/C charger the PM's gonna be on board."

"But I thought you aren't supposed to leave them on high when its hot out."

"Nah, thats just what the farang manufacturer says. What do they know anyway."

"OK, up to you."

Kahhhhh-Booooooooom!!!!!!!

"Hey Somchai, you wanna tell them we thought we saw some of those Pattani seperatists near the plane?"

I've flown on Thai a few times. BKK to Korat, BKK to Chiang Mai and BKK to Kathmandu. I agree that the domestic seating stinks (small seats), but I thought the service was quite good. Always got a full meal even on short flights. Of course it might be fish, which is good, that you would never find on a US airline. They passed out newspapers, gave Orchids to the girls, etc.

One year I booked a flight from BKK to Khorat on the Internet far in advance. When I showed up for the flight they said the departure time was changed and the flight had departed. They paid for a taxi to take me to the bus station. That was nice.

[ May 25, 2001: Message edited by: pattayaman ]

Thai Air is a "Jobs for the boys" outfit, the flight bags and most other staff are primarily from connected families (Thai admits this) No connections, no job! this shows, Most of these girls are not used to being on the serving end, they are used to being looked after. I previously Travelled a lot on Thai Intl and Takky's right, Business and first class are crappy, seats, food, service the lot. Not worth the money. The company needs professional managment, not a bunch of ego "tossers" that run it now, mostly B'crats and Airforce.

Worst sin is bad value for money,I just got an economy fare BKK to Aust, Royal Brunei 15,300 Baht Same flight By Thai 22,800 Baht.

Hy all

I ve been flying Thai for the first time last week from Zuerich to BKK and found the food and service excellent.

I had a not so new MD11 but the seating (economy class) was good and I had the luck of having 2 seats on the left side of the plane for me as the plane was only 70% full.

Nothing bad to say about Thai

cool.gif" border="0 TSDOUBLE2 (now sitting at the Beach of Pattaya) cool.gif" border="0

[ May 25, 2001: Message edited by: TSDOUBLE2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by zwoel69:

From the Phuket Gazette:

In an interview today, he said, “If I were not a public figure, I wouldn’t fly with THAI. It sucks.

[ May 25, 2001: Message edited by: zwoel69 ]

What I am curious about is whether the interview was in Thai or English. If the former I wonder exactly the Thai words he used for "it sucks"?

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

My two cents on the issue follows:

On two occasions, I have flown Thai Air Business Class from Los Angeles to BKK via Osaka, Japan. Each time I got a heavily discounted fare from a consolidator in Oregon. I don't remember the cost of the first trip, but the second trip was about $1,800, which included a paid overnight stay at Nikko Airport Hotel (very nice!) in Osaka.

Comparing Thai Business Class to United Business Class, there's a huge difference. Thai Business is not uncomfortable, but it's not luxurious and not nearly as nice as United. For example, in United Business, you have your own TV screen for movies. Not true on Thai. Also, the quality of the seat on United is far superior. Food quality between the two, to me, is indistinguishable, but I'm the wrong person to evaluate cuisine. In any case, Thai Business beats coach, and I'd fly it again if I couldn't get a decent United fare.

Oh yes, almost forgot, Thai Air gets you United frequent flier miles, so that's a factor for me.

teacherwannabe

quote:

Originally posted by pattayaman:

I've flown on Thai a few times. BKK to Korat, BKK to Chiang Mai and BKK to Kathmandu. I agree that the domestic seating stinks (small seats), but I thought the service was quite good. Always got a full meal even on short flights. Of course it might be fish, which is good, that you would never find on a US airline. They passed out newspapers, gave Orchids to the girls, etc.

One year I booked a flight from BKK to Khorat on the Internet far in advance. When I showed up for the flight they said the departure time was changed and the flight had departed. They paid for a taxi to take me to the bus station. That was nice

[ May 25, 2001: Message edited by: pattayaman ]

P127: thai International and Thai domestic are 2 different operations with 2 different managements.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

Archived