International License required?

Greetings-

I do have an expired US license I could flash, but I think I will go ahead and try to pick up an Int.l license before I go(WHICH IS IN 10 DAYS...BWAH HA HA).

But seriously, I have been with friends who have been pulled over in Pattaya, and they have handed over a Thai license, so no problem. If there was a problem, about how much would make the policeman happy? Would 100 baht send me on my way, or am I overdoing it? Any experience in that regard?

On a separate topic, any good places to rent a car in Pattaya?

Cheers.

Drew

From what I have read elsewhere, and IDL is not a driver's license per se. Rather, it only "certifies" your existing license, wherever it is from. If this is true, you will need a valid license as part of your IDL application process.

Hi!

Bald Eagle

quote:

From what I have read elsewhere, and IDL is not a driver's license per se. Rather, it only "certifies" your existing license, wherever it is from.

This is definitly true in Sweden. It's some years since I had one but it stated in several languages that it was only a translation and valid only together with the original. It also stated which type of vehicles I was alowed to drive and that I could drive nothing without wearing glasses or lenses.

regards

ALHOLK

• 2 weeks later...

In April I got pulled over on the highway in

Issan for "speeding". The police had a speed trap set up. When I asked the cop how fast I was going all he could say was that it was above 110 kph but he didn't know the exact speed. He kept on asking for my IDL,which I had,and gave to him. It sounded like he was having fun saying the words "International Driver's License" because he would smile everytime that he said it. My Issan wife was with me and he originally asked for 1000 baht but she bargained him down to 500 baht. The crazy thing is that let's assume that he asked for 2000 baht and wouldn't budge on the price, I would have no

alternative but to pay the 2000. Jay

If any board member requires a Thailand driving licence E-mail me off line and I will put them in touch with someone who for a small fee Bhat 500 if I remember correctly, will arrange one with the all the necessary data base entries in order. This is the real thing not a same-same.

quote:

Originally posted by samori1:

If any board member requires a Thailand driving licence E-mail me off line and I will put them in touch with someone who for a small fee Bhat 500 if I remember correctly, will arrange one with the all the necessary data base entries in order. This is the real thing not a same-same.

Sorry coquetislander. Not yet fully familiar with the new board and thought my e-mail would be visible on my profile.

samoripas@hotmail.com

Archived