International License required?

Greetings-

I will be staying in Thailand for about a month, and will be renting a car while there. As the subject heading suggests, do I need an international license, or will my license from Japan do the trick(as I no longer hold a U.S. license)?

Cheers.

Drew

It's sort of strange. I was in Phuket with a friend a few years ago and the rental agency would not accept his international licence or UK licence. But I had a Thai licence, which they accepted. So I drove the jeep off the lot and couple of miles away. Then I moved over and let him drive after that.

Greetings-

Thanks for the reply. I will go ahead and get one, to play it safe, although renting in Pattaya, I have a feeling it will most definitely be "cash and carry."

To answer another poster's question, they can generally be picked up at any auto club, like AAA in the States. In Japan, it is the JAF.

In Japan, one can drive on an int.l license for 1 year, and then face a 1,000 U.S. fine if caught after the expiration date. Recently, they changed the law back again to not worrying about the date.

I guess their intention was to help stem the flow of Japanese people from picking up a U.S. license while in the states, and then transferring it into a Japanese license when coming back. They did this roundabout procedure to save yen, as it can be 3,000 U.S. dollars and upwards to drive here(you must go through a very expensive driving school before one can take the test).

Ah, life in Japan.....but I digress.

Cheers.

Drew

Play it safe by all means, but you don't need a IDL !! I have rented and owned cars here for 12 years and use my Aust Driving licence. At the moment I ride a 1100cc motor bike every day, it sticks out like dogs balls amonst the Honda Dreams and Tenas etc so get checked a bit, cops always been happy to accept the Aust Drivers licence but could be a libary card for all they know.

quote:

Originally posted by ALHOLK:

Hi!

Fatbastard

AFAIK the IDL is a legal requirement. A national drivers licence will work fine until you are involved in an accident and then you ar fucked.

you are fucked anyway if you are involved in an accident in thailand whether you have a IDL or not....

regards

ALHOLK

quote:

Originally posted by samak:

if you rent from an international company, there is a probability, that they will ask to see the international license. the local company just ask for the cash....

I called Avis and Hertz in Bangkok about a month ago to inquire about whether a US Drivers license was enough to rent a car. They said no problem with just a US Drivers license but do not know about Japanese DL.

Archived