I Can''t Believe How Stupid They Can Be

Torneyboy

Have known a Thai guy working in a Thai restaurant next to my office for over two years.

Today he asks me if i can help him.

Informs me his visa expired a year ago :doah:

Came out on a study visa and went back after the school /visa finished.

Then on his return would not pay the school again and started working full time.

Since telling the boss this ..they cut his pay from AUD 12 to 10 per hour.

So he wants to leave and go home now, i can get him a cheap one way ticket to BKK and suggested once he has this to contact immigration and tell them a ""story"'.

If he fronts up to check in at the airport he will be detained ..

Why leave it this long to do anything....just crazy.

He is lucky the restaurant hasn''t been raided like many others and put in a detention centre before being sent home and never able to return to OZ.

This is not the only case i have come accross and i guess not the last..why don''t they want to follow the rules and stay here without fear of a raid? :dunno:

You know years ago I wouldn't even have know what a work visa was or what it looked like. This is before the Tax Number was introduced. No idea if I hired illegal's or not!

Now I guess I would ask, but silly he told his boss. Still - if he is leaving the ecountry, not likely they are going to detain him.

Most likely they will stamp his passport, "No Return" and also enter that electronically, AND maybe share that info with other countries.

Reminds me of a bloke from England, a photographer, I knew years ago. He was banging some model, who was only just of legal age. Her daddy was not too impressed, but knew if he said "No" she was just going to move out!

So smart man did a background check, discovered the photographer had overstayed his "Tourist" visa by 18 months AND had set up his own business.

A week later the police arrived in the middle of the night, took him out to the airport, put him on plane, and he was gone, 5 years never to return.

Daughter was distraught "Daddy Daddy, who would have dobbed him in? He was SOOO nice"

Daddy: "No idea little pumpkin, never mind, he can come back in 5 years, there there"

Her tears lasted about a week until next boy came along.

JB

This is a thorny debate. I know personally people who were staying in Thailand way over their visa, and got fined 20 000 bahts, then let free without further annoyances. Still:

I strongly do not recommend anyone to go by stories heard and "pay the fine" easy ways out, but instead, to stay within the legal date allowed on their passport.

Be like the American who got picked up, I believe in Pattya, last week. He died while in detention. Bruises to his upper body. Rumor is he was screaming because he had to go take a shit (cell had Asian toilet) - police did not understand stand him - fellow Thai prisoners got irritated with his conduct. A few quick blows shut him up - unfortunately it was permanent.

Archived