Sacrilege: Boycott Victoria's Secret

sfinkz

...it should think of our feelings.

"Wonder if the same applies to Thais walking around with swastikas and OBL T-shirts."

I don't want to go here as it could degenerate into a secular argument involving those taboo subjects of politics and religion but I think it could be argued based on corporate responsibility.

As I see it, the offending Thai-produced products are manufactured by something like a Noppadorn Knitting Co. as a novel niche by a misguided sort with a shophouse, cranking out shoddy 50 baht shirts for a local market with an end consumer who may very well be unaware of its role in the greater scheme of things.

Victoria's Secret, on the other hand, which once seemed 'boutique-ish' but now seems intent on using its cachet to establish itself as a dominant global trendsetter in its ubiquitous quest of cornering all media markets in the foisting of its nighties and are perhaps as equally as clueless but should be held to a higher standard.

Not that it matters, however. Once the perceived insult wears off, as it disappears from the front page of Thai Rath, it will be safely out-of-sight and out-of-mind because $120 bathing suits and devout Buddhists are not likely to intersect.

What I want to know, though, is, other than preventing their in-country distribution, does the state Office of National Buddhism have powers along the lines of lese-majeste? In other words, does customs have the right to seize a lone offending 'tankini' (much like the ban on exportation of Buddha images) or could police detain a woman sporting one at a beach or hotel pool?

<"Wonder if the same applies to Thais walking around with swastikas and OBL T-shirts."

I don't want to go here as it could degenerate into a secular argument involving those taboo subjects of politics and religion but I think it could be argued based on corporate responsibility.>

I don't think the swastika/OBL analogy is a very good one. Wouldn't it be more apt to wonder what kind of reception a Jesus bikini would get in a) Koh Samui B) the US Bible Belt?

I could not care less, and I might even order some myself. The Thais are very tolerant about ads and products that poke fun at icons of other religions, like Catholic nuns and priests in underwear ads or on bottles of wine, so why should they be shocked when it's their religions turn? Hypocrites. And of course, that swastika that was mentioned is a prime example of how sensitive the Thais are to others. I'll be disappointed in Victoria's Secret if they bow to pressure. Hopefully, they'll be savvy enough to play up the free advertising. Like one of the Monty Python group said about "Life of Brian" when asked about the controversy, he said they sell x more tickets every time someone punches their nose in righteous indignation.

"I could not care less, and I might even order some myself."

Assuming you could order some, as the product has been removed from the website, what would you do with a 5000 baht bathing suit with buddhas on the private parts? (The model in the pic doesn't come with it ya' know). Solely for the sake of spite? Surely none of your girls would wish to participate in the desecration.

Archived