Why do Thais take things so literally?

By the way, the general conception of issarn bgs teaching "lao slang"?? Never had that happening to me either and I would be interested in what exactly they "teach".

Sorry, it was really just a stereotype. I honestly wouldn't know exactly what bargirls tell farang.

>>>I don't know how long you have been in Thailand but I would strongly suggest you don't use phrases like this even in fun, for a start it identifies you as someone who has learnt his Thai from bargirls and has no manners or respect.

Also don't imagine that the Thais who don't like it will always "sit there and take it" - it's not an amusing expression at all and if they decide to show you how offended they feel one day you will surely regret it. <<<

i can only repeat what beach said: also most of my mates use those and other expression when talking shit with each other. a few things have to be observed though: when using those expletitives here, it is generally only people of similar age who adress each other that way, or the respected older boys call their younger look nongs mofos. definately not on is a look nong calling his look pii such words, even if adressed so.

and, the social setting is important. in a more formal setting those words are not used.

Hua Nguu said:[/i

My guess would be that some punters hear words and expressions they are not familiar with and write it off as "lao slang".

No BG I ever encountered stroke up a conversation in lao with me nor used any lao words unless I initiated it first.

They can banter back and forth with their friends in Lao. I've picked up a few one-liners and assorted zingers that way.

It's a misconception, a big one, that only BGs swear. Don't know if it's this whole hip-hop culture or whatever, but the amount of so-called naughty words I hear lately (from non-BG university types) seems much more than in the past.

My gf likes to call me 'ii puak'... So I'll call her 'ee meut' or 'ee keiow' in return, which always gets a big reaction. :D

Why do Thais take things so literal - or why do falangs say dumb things. My girlfriend and I where talking about this last week. One expression we found funny was was "Fuck you!" When a man says that to a man, does he really mean it literally? Or maybe subconciously?

Archived