Pat Tillman Tribute in every NFL stadium??

gene1944

Following is one fan's attempt to pay tribute to Pat Tillman, the ex NFL star who recently died in Afghanistan. I am just passing it along as info. The significance of the 40 yard line is that #40 was his football jersy number.

Write or call the National Football League and ask them to please paint the 40 yard line at all NFL stadiums, red, white and blue as an everlasting and permanent tribute to Pat Tillman.

Fans bringing their children and grandchildren to future NFL games, can point to the red, white and blue 40 yard line and tell them the story of fallen hero, Pat Tillman.

Contact the NFL at 212-450-2000 or write NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, National Football League, 280 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10017.

Tillman made the ultimate personal sacrifice. Not belittling it in the slightest. But I wouldn't paint the 40 yd line permanently red, white and blue as well.

In WW2 you had professional baseball players who didn't have to go, voluntaring for service and some dying. Same with football players and ice hockey professionals in Canada. Their sacrifice, love of country and service was no less important than Tillman's.

What the Hall of Fame or the league should do is create a permanent monument for players who served and died in combat.

I can't see this happening on a permanent basis or at every NFL stadium, but there is talk of naming the new Arizona stadium after Tillman and I think that would be absolutely appropriate.

BTW, I hope that kid at U Mass Amherst, who wrote that piece of crap article slamming Tillman, has a real rough year at school. What a jackass.

I heard about such an article Brink15. Although we would both agree he has the constitutional right to say it, I think he has made an ass of himself. My question to him would be, were the people who volunteered to serve after Pearl Harbor stupid as well? Just because he doesn't agree with the war, he shouldn't belittle heroism and service.

Brink / CS

You both knowing my passion for the NFL , I agree with CS for a section of the NFL-HOF , for all who died fighting for their country , for that matter not just NFL but for all. Dedicating a yard line for one is not fair to " all ".

Also to get you thinking , what happens to Muhammed Ali (sp?) when he passes , Hall of fame boxer with all the accolades , or Viet Nam war resister ?

BTW it's 0-0 Flames and Wings , end of 2.

BadanotfairingwellnowBing

History will treat Ali kind. His move away from the more militant Nation of Islam to the more traditional form, and his affliction has already changed his reputation and he's already loved within America and around the globe. There were lots of famous people openly against the war who have gone on to become popular. Some not (Jane Fonda). Ali's anti-war stance was incorporated as part of the civil rights movement at the time so society has given him a pass as well.

Charles Lindburgh was against America entering WW2 and was a German sympathizer as well but he's remembered as a great American.

I think Ali will be remembered fondly when he passes.

chocolat steve said:

History will treat Ali kind. His move away from the more militant Nation of Islam to the more traditional form, and his affliction has already changed his reputation and he's already loved within America and around the globe. There were lots of famous people openly against the war who have gone on to become popular. Some not (Jane Fonda). Ali's anti-war stance was incorporated as part of the civil rights movement at the time so society has given him a pass as well.

Charles Lindburgh was against America entering WW2 and was a German sympathizer as well but he's remembered as a great American.

I think Ali will be remembered fondly when he passes.

ok...point taken , but , Ali knew PC would take effect ( eventually ) in his beliefes , " Hanoi Jane " took her chances , without caring about her movie career , Ali thought millions $$ would make up time in jail , let alone emergeing alive from incarcination , Jane , most likely from family connections still had her career intact , but , one for one against , they both came out on tact. Go figure... :dunno:

BadawingsarethruBing :(

Archived