Work Issues

Zaad

Nobody in particular,

I sort of understand the face issue (whomever's face it may concern) but this, I believe, should not be an obstacle when a team of professionals are seeking for improvements.

Now another question might be if 'face' and 'ability to accept criticism' is connected to one another. If one's able to accept (positive) criticism, also when brought in a respectful way by inferiors, then there might not even be a mention of this whole face issue thing in the first place.

Perhaps there are still too many dumbasses around who believe that criticism of any kind equals a personal attack.

I have had to deal with this issue with many people in Thailand and the way they react varies significantly from person to person. I suspect their reaction has a lot to do with how much they've dealt with farangs before. For example, have they studied overseas for an extended period of time?

Definetly if you must do it you've gotta make it private.

Recognize too that it is not limited to Thais. I had a disagreement with an Indian who was my superior at the time. A pretty trivial thing really in retrospect, I disagreed with the wording he wanted posted to a web site. He even went to the extent to show me a similar example to what he wanted. But poor English is poor English. I told him that and said it doesn't really matter to me what you put up. But he asked for my opinion and I gave it. He never forgave me for the transgression. The problem was, he asked me in front of his boss. And the boss agreed with me. Unfortunately I'm not the type to sign off on poor quality regardless of who authors it.

Archived