west coast to bkk in july-august

Any west coast peeps care to share what they've paid for an SFO/LAX-BKK flight during these months? Everything I've found in the last week or so is in the 900-1000 range, which is a bit more than I'm willing/able to pay. I thought the prices would be equal or less to what I've paid for high season travel, but that doesnt seem to be the case.

I just bought a ticket from inland USA to LA and then to BKK. Roundtrip with the extra from inland USA to BKK was $644. That included everything - final price. I just bought the tickets with 7 day advance notice. From LA to BKK, of course would be cheaper. I book my flights thru a travel agency that uses China Airlines. China Airlines provides an 'add-on' to inland USA for me with United. As you can see, if the add on with United was removed, the cost of the ticket would be less.

As for tickets for July or August, I have not seen in past years much of a fluctuation in price from what I have stated above.

One thing that might help you is to have some of the ticket selling sites send you price changes when they occur from LA to BKK. I do this and notice that those prices always seem a lot lower then any of the flights I can find on-line.

:onfire: That website listed above is Travelocity. Yes they do post low prices but there never seems to be any seats. Maybe one day per month when the price is posted. These prices stay on Travelocity even though all seats gone. I, too, am looking for some deals from States to BKK. They all seem about a grand from East coast. Higher than before. Any suggestions?

Agreed on the Travelocity thing, the calender for those months is worthless. I guess all the airlines charge a premium on summer month fares as its peak travel time here in the US. Pretty much negates any low season hotel savings over in Thailand when you have to pay $200-300 extra just to get there. I plugged in my dates at thaifly.com and got a rate of $765 from SFO, much cheaper than any of the other sites. Will get in touch next week to see if the seats are actually available.

• 2 weeks later...

From roughly June 1st to Sept. 1st most flights out of the USA are at high season fare. This is mainly because students travel home from the US during this time as do Vietnamese and other Asians because school is out for their children, etc.

This is what my friend who owns a travel agency told me and his agency specializes in Asian travel. Rest of the year he gets me great fares so I believe him. He also told me that airlines are increasing their fees for any changes to your ticket. Changing a departure date in particular. Also, they are no longer giving FF miles for low fare tickets except on their own airlines, but partners are not accepting those miles.

For example, if you fly on Korean, EVA, or China, double check that you can get miles transfered to their partners if you want those miles on say Delta, or Continental, etc.

Archived