Australia - Fiance Visa?

Any Ideas?

I have seen guys post about fiance visas in the US. Is there a similar thing in Australia?

My situation is:

1. Current status married but seperating in the next 4-6 weeks.

2. Living in Australia but frequently (monthly) business trips to BKK.

3. Now have serious relationship with TG GF who lives in BKK. (Non BG)

4. Once I am seperated, TG GF will move in with me in Australia for a couple of years. We might then move back to BKK together.

5. GF will be coming to Australia on student visa to study English for 3 - 6 months. I am paying for that. She will be working as an au pair during that time. eg living with an Aussie family.

The question? Once she has completed her 6 months study and moves in with me. Does her status change. Can she apply for some sort of fiance visa if we intend to get married? Or does she have to keep enrolling in study courses to maintain/extend her student visa?

As I will be newly seperated, I cannot legally divorce until I have been sepeated for 12 months. I guess that means I cannot legally be engaged to be married until I am divorced? Not sure. So maybe a finace visa (if there is such a thing) would not be possible.

Can anyone help shed some light on this type of visa situation?

Thanks

Sid

Robaus,

Thanks. What do you think about when she applies for her student visa? Is it likely to help or hinder the application if we declare that there is a relationship ongoing with an Australian citizen in Sydney..eg me.

I thought that it might hinder, because the embassy might think that will encourage her to overstay.

I guess what I am trying to engineer, is some kind of 'seamless' transition from a student visa, to a longer term visa. As once she has finished her study, we plan to live together in Australia for a couple of years (and get married in 12 months once I get a divorce finalised) before maybe moving back to Thailand. My business will require me to stay in Australia for 2 more years before any thought of moving overseas.

Thanks

Sid

I can't really help you re fiance visa and your particular circumstances. Ring immigration in Aus for advice. You may have to rely on tourist visas for your gf until your divorce is finalised etc. In which case be clear (maybe you already have) at the Aus embassy in Bangkok that you have an ongoing relationship and prove it (letters, stamps in your passport for visits etc etc). Go with her if poss. If she goes alone for a tourist visa especially after a 6 month study visa, they might think she's trying to overstay. I've got 3 mth and 6 mth tourist visas for a GF - no problems. Can help there.

Good luck, mate.

Your big problem is the likelihood that the consulate will slap a condition number 8503 on any visa they issue to a thai girl of what is considered marriageable age.This says you cannot apply for a further stay or any other type of visa,I have only seen it overturned where there is a child to be born.

You might try getting her a tourist visa but do not mention about possibly getting married and nominate she may also like to study there to fill in time while you are at work during the day,no guarantees but it may work and once you do not have the 8503 condition you can then apply in Australia for

anothet type of visa.

My girlfriend is marrying age and didn't get a 8503 in her visa.... Given this I'm tempted to take her downunder and marry her and apply on shore. Easier said than done with her parents but at least as far as immigration goes it should be possible.

My GF got her visa in about 2 seconds at the counter in Bangkok earlier this year.

She works for an airline with a good character background so visas are generally no trouble for her.

You say you're paying for the student visa it's not that simple. Generally unless your GF is from a wealthy background it will be difficult for her to get a student visa because they usually investigate where the money comes from. I don't know if the Australia embassy is as paranoid as the americans when it comes to paying for the student visa.

Archived