I Thought She Was American

Torneyboy

Met a couple of Thai visitors to Oz for a few weeks and staying with my wifes sister.

When introduced to them they both had American accents :D

"You have an American accent i said"" ....yes the teacher we had was American...and i watch American movies all the time.

Was their reply.

She works in a call centre in BKK for a Thai communications company and speaks thai all day ::

Have since been told that many Thai students end up with American accents.

I would have thought they would lose this after a while ..and not studying anymore?

Both have the best English i have heard from a Thai :up:

Hi,

Mai ruu? My g/f started taking English lessons on the side, since early grade school, but has a very Thai accent. As hard as she can try, bless her heart, she could never be mistaken for an American. And in her job, she must communicate every day in English. Although studying for very long, she still does not have the accent. That is pretty hard for a khon Thai to do.

Same as me mastering a Thai accent. That would take me many, many more years to accomplish. ::

HT

I've found a lot of Asians and Europeans have an 'American' accent of sorts. Due to teachers, cassette tapes for learning etc. Movies too.

Miss Red at times sounds like a yank. Lucky she still cooks like a Thai though. :D

Yeah...i guess it is to damn hot in Los to go out and do things...i understand more after our trip.i usually loose 4-6kg

This one nearly double...just dripping up at the markets...45 some days...have A/C at the parents home ...but out and about day time was the worst i have come accross in my trips..

back on topic...this girl speaks thai all day at work...still has an accent...she also looks at the box way to much.

Redbaron said:

I've found a lot of Asians and Europeans have an 'American' accent of sorts. Due to teachers, cassette tapes for learning etc. Movies too.

Miss Red at times sounds like a yank. Lucky she still cooks like a Thai though. :D

Hi Red,

Again movies!

These gals have too much time on their hands ::

This girl today if i closed my eyes you would swear she was a yank.

""Cooks like a Thai""...lucky for you ..or we would be calling you BIG Red :neener:

"BIG Red" - I like it. There's a real risk of that happening. Still being spoilt down here. Apparantly the colder it gets, the more we have to eat.

Even she's put on a few kg's.

Back to the topic at hand. Little Miss Red tells me she learnt most of her English from the TV. DVD's/movies as well. Even though she studied English up until year 12/Form 6 in Thailand, she learnt more from watching chick flicks. Pretty much all American.

Sounds like the same as this girl.

Why don't they loose the accent after a while?

Know a few people that have worked in the States for a few months on a contract ...but not too long after getting back they are back to the good old OZ twang.

PS...had to ban Choo Che Goong ..and any other cocconut curries...love them ..but do not want to enter a room sideways

::

Archived