Pattaya - Bank Account Recommendations

All,

I wish to open a bank account in Pattaya in order to transfer $$$ for the purchase of a condo.

1) Can I open the account with a foreign non-Bhat check ?

2)Any banks, (Bangkok Bank, Thai Farmers etc), recommendations ?

3)At present I'll be staying in a hotel till the purchase goes through. Will this be a problem when opening the account ?

4) Do Thai banks offer internet banking ? If so which ones ?

5) Anything else that you think is relevant ?

6) Oh yeh, any good realtors in Pattaya ?

Thanks in advance.

PP

When I bought my condo in Pattaya, I transferred money via Standard Chartered Bank in Bangkok on the recommendation of a friend.Super smooth transaction. Not much help to you if you want a bank in Pattaya.

Make sure the money you transfer is recorded by the bank on a TT3 form, so that you can re-export the money if you sell one day, and so that you can prove to the land titles office that you have brought money from overseas for the purchase.... required by law.

Check the Pattaya Mail classifieds for prices. http://www.pattayamail.com/

Among the Thai banks, TFB and Bangkok Bank are probably the best. TFB has some some e-banking initiative, but I don’t know how far it has gone and whether internet banking as it is practiced in the west is really available. It is worth checking out, however, since TFB is presenting itself as the leader in this area.

The foreign owned banks in Thailand are generally better managed and provide better service than most Thai banks - Bangkok Bank and TFB may be exceptions, but the rest of the Thai banks certainly are not. There are four foreign owned local banks: Bank of Asia (ABN-AMRO), DBS Thai Danu (DBS), UOB Radanasin (UOB), Nakathorn – Standard Chartered (Standard Chartered).

The advice on getting a TT-3 was good advice.

Pompom,

make sure you do everything legit, as the TT3 is a mandatory requirement. If i remember, you can't purchase property unless your money comes from outside the country, or $ are changed into bahts officially (the reason for tt3, though they called it T5 with me). I had bahts in the bank and they told me i had to change it in $ and back in bahts so they could issue the tt3/t5. I got out of it because i bought from the farang owner and he agreed to tt3 only 5000 $ and then we used the bahts i had in the bank to come up to the 10000 he wanted. This last operation was cash between him and me, so the condo was sold officially for 5000$. Do not change your $ without getting that tt3 form, or you will have to rechange them as i said earlier. My bank is Krung Thai branch of Pattaya klang (middle Rd) between 2nd Rd and Beach Rd. The older lady in charge there is perfect as she will explain what to do with very good english. So,I'd say try to purchase the condo from an owner and make sure he will help you thru the sale (you will need to record the property at the Land office). Do shop around, I was not excited by the prices realtors ask for a condo, esp. when you have to add commissions and

new-owner taxes (this last one at least 10% of sale price). If you can transfer the money and keep it in dollars, do it, but remember that tt? whatever form.

about Pattaymail ads, most condos on sale in them are outrageously expensive, may be worth it, depending on how much you have to spend. 10000 should get you something decent, 15/20000 should have a lot of "gadgets" and good management. Enquire about the fix-it/repair staff on the premises. You will need them. Over 20000, i would buy a house in a special estate with guard etc...

Just to give you an idea: my condo is 32 sq.m plus balcony, hot water, air-con, TV/VCR, furnished, with pool, little restaurant,laundry service and elevator. All this was 8500 $ this winter, but 10000 when i bought it in 2000. You can't win all the time....

Where is the best place to find condos for sale ? If not the pattay mail,(as some have suggested they are expensive), then real estate agents or what ?

PP

quote:

Originally posted by POMPOM:

Where is the best place to find condos for sale ? If not the pattay mail,(as some have suggested they are expensive), then real estate agents or what ?

PP

do not be in a hurry. Check many and compare. I found mine by just motorcycling around and seeing the signs saying "for sale or 'rent". If you have a motorbike,it will be easier to move around. On Sukkhumvit, a couple hundred meters after the "bottle museum" there are 2 huge buildings (i visiited the one in the back) whose really nice condos were on sale for 400 000. It;s got a big swimming pool, and the condo i visited had a great balcony and view. You could cook breakfast for/dinner 6 on it. Call this guy,he still sells condos where mine is (soi 17). Richard: 01-6586684. In short: talk around, ask, also check the ads on Sophon cable TV, for months they advertised the NIRUN complex off soi Buakkao. Nice views, but already a little more costly for what you get.

You can't buy a condo if you've entered on a tourist visa. You need a non-immigrant B or O visa.

I got the TT3 from the TFB no problems. You cannot buy without having this form.

Archived