The Road To Nowhere

Torneyboy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that was the hopewell project (dubbed as the 'hopeless project'). a combined road-railaway-skytrain project which went bust during the financial crises.

and yes, it was very expensive.

Hi,

Along with a lot of half-finished apt/office buildings all over BKK. Kind of strange to see, for the first time. A remarkable amount of them exist. Seem to be everywhere.

HT

>that was the hopewell project (dubbed as the 'hopeless project'). a combined road-railaway-skytrain project which went bust during the financial crises.

I read somewhere it was a failed project that got canned a few years before the 97 crisis.

What TorneyBoy's wife said, "a mistake", does actually describe it well. If it becomes important I can dig out more details from the books. From memory, it was a mistake from the "good years".

a bit strange for me to see is that many of them are getting now finished. i would like to know if during the years of exposure the steal concrete did not get damaged, or if and which measures were taken that those projects are secure.

>>>I read somewhere it was a failed project that got canned a few years before the 97 crisis.<<<

you might be right there.

i can somewhat remember that the project had constant trouble with costs etc. and that the final blow came around the time of the crises.

think_too_mut said:

>that was the hopewell project (dubbed as the 'hopeless project'). a combined road-railaway-skytrain project which went bust during the financial crises.

I read somewhere it was a failed project that got canned a few years before the 97 crisis.

What TorneyBoy's wife said, "a mistake", does actually describe it well. If it becomes important I can dig out more details from the books. From memory, it was a mistake from the "good years".

Hi TTm

Said .....Ex Pm that is now dead?

>i would like to know if during the years of exposure the steal concrete did not get damaged, or if and which measures were taken that those projects are secure.

There was a talk about 5 years period that development of the unfinished buildings can be resumed. Many had approached that age (I knew the number of 384 of them, somebody else found 520 - including the other side of the river), many had passed it...The word of the day was "an amnesty" for all of them.

How safe they may be after all that - don't know, but I know I won't be queuing to buy a property in them.

Regarding the "Stonehenge" remains of the unfinished project, I tried to find more about it but appears I'll have to read the entire 400 pages book to locate it again.

From memory, it was abandoned as a mistake, not due to the lack of funds. The mistake and the crisis could have had coincided, not sure.

Guest lazyphil

You never know, some pretentious knob head might come along from some modern art institute and proclaim it to be a great work of modern art ::...stranger things have happened at Londons Tate!

Archived