Meaning of the word 'Ja'

MisterBlonde

Hi HT,

Josh Ingu already pointed out that:

Seems there are actually *three* Jaa's (different tone), and so it can pretty much mean anything from Ok, to I'm listening

A short "Ja" with a dropped tone at the end of a sentense or on it`s own is merely an informal substitute for Kha.

I hear elderly female market vendors using it with me, because they are older than me, in this case not meant as a term of endearment I am sure :)

Also elder thais male and female alike may use this term too when speaking to someone younger or of lower status.

Very often used when adressing children as well.

A prolonged Jaa with rising tone is usually used as a term of endearment or teasing in a good humoured way or even flirtatious depending on who you are actually talking to.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Yup.. would just like to add that I think it would sound distinctly gay if you use any kind of ja with male friends... It's more a cute/informal 'kha' for women, and men could use it with women they're close to (or who are a lot lower in status, say waitresses and bargirls), but to go use it with other men sounds fruity to me.

POSSIBLY you could use it with a kathoey.. But beyond that not with men, not even young boys.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Archived