Meaning of the word 'Ja'

MisterBlonde

I know Ja is a term of endearment meaning dear or darling,so when i overheard my TG using it in a latenight phone conversation with a Thai guy,i confronted her with it.....

She replied that he is the husband of her best friend and they are quite close,and therefore Ja is allowed to be used...she went on to say that i could use Ja with my close male friends...

I'm pretty sure she's taking the piss...any feedback from the knowledgable would be appreciated.

>any feedback from the knowledgable

You might argue with that bit, *however* for what its worth, yes, it is OK for a female to use with a close male friend (close in a non-sexual meaning).

Seems there are actually *three* Jaa's (different tone), and so it can pretty much mean anything from Ok, to I'm listening. If it helps I know a "friendly" student who sometimes response to me when I call her name with "Jaa", and I can *assure* you there is nothing going on there....

-j-

Hi,

Don't worry about this too much. It is fairly common for girls to use this with guys they are close to (and not necessarily in a sexual way). My wife uses this with the husbands of her friends as well.

It is also quite normal for a guy to use this when addressing girls he is close to (again, not necessarily in a sexual way). I often use this for instance with the girls in the office, previous office actually, not yet been here long enough to get comfortable enough using it with the girls here.

I also use this with my wife's close friends, at least the ones I have known for a while.

"she used it as the last word she said before hanging up....would that make its meaning any different.....as in bye dear? "

Not necessarily. It is very similar to 'kha', just used when the relationship is less formal.

Sanuk!

i heard that this is a ancient word that was used commonly (you can see or better hear it in old thai movies) and was later replaced by the formal Khrap/kha. today it is only used for very close friends or with children.

anybody can confirm that?

From what very little I know, is that is an informal term. Actually, and endearing term. Ja, is like 'sweetie', as we westerners might use the term, in a loose form. Can only be used with close friends, or someone your comfortable with. Would not be appropiate with someone you did not yet know, in a formal sense, but not so informal, as to not use too loosely, given the correct situation.

Example is many Thai chat girls will use this term freely, but I would never use this term freely with my girl friends family members. It's too 'familiar', and informal, for that usage. Just my take.

HT

Archived