secure mail/package delivery

Hi all..Was just wondering if anybody knows if there is a way for me to send a package to Bangkok and GUARANTEE that person will get it? I do not trust the mail delivery system...Id prefer something where recipient has to go to post office to pick up package..Any thoughts appreciated ! BB

I have sent 2 times envelope packages to Bkk with both being successful. First was U.S. Post Office International Express Mail costs starting from $19 US (from NY & depending on weight)leaving Friday afternoon & arriving tin BKK on the following Thursday. Tracking was limited to packages leaving to USA & not in Bkk. My friend still got it. 2nd time was Federal Express International Delivery with same envelope & costs starting from $32 US (from NY & depending on weight)It costs a little more but very reliable. Tracking was done online from start in USA to finish in BKK & only in three days (however I shipped on Thursday & arrived in BKK on Monday-I guessed maybe one day more because of weekend) Note: Federal Express make you fill out additional Int'l. custom shipping form listing contents (make sure that you list minimum costs for your items or else Thai courier might charge more "vat" taxes like they did on mine & your receiving friend/party will have to pay up to get it.) My 2nd package was 2-lbs weight costing me $45.50 US for shipping & I listed $8 US costs on custom form. My friend got prompt delivery on date that was promised by Federal Express but had to pay 200 thai bahts to delivery guy (we guessed it was for "vat" taxes???) On my 1st delivery via US Post Office Int'l. Express Mail, I did not fill out any int'l. custom form & my friend did not pay any "vat" taxes either. I guess the choices are really up to you on which delivery methods. I liked Fed. Ex. (even though more money) because of quick & promised guaranteed delivery date & online tracking info. but I did not like int'l. custom form & so-called "vat" taxes. The US Post Office Int'l. Express Mail was good as to being cheaper costs, no custom forms & no "vat" taxes but only partial online tracking (up to leaving USA) & not really given a promised delivery date (only estimated 3-5 days??) So it will depend on your financial situation as to affording the delivery costs & how valuable your packages are to you & your friend in BKK. 2nd Note: both times I included US$$$ money in 2 sealed plain envelopes inside the packages & both got there safely with no problems. BUT IMPORTANTLY DO NOT LIST U.S. $$ MONEY ON CUSTOM OR FED. EX. FORMS AT ALL!!!!!!!! My 1st shipping was done on June 15, 2001 & my 2nd one was done on July 5, 2001. So they are both really recent shippings for me (my first times to BKK too) & they are very reliable info. from me. Okay? crazy.gif" border="0

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: pgy123 ]

• 1 month later...

To add to a old thread...

I agree that if you to make SURE that your stuff gets to the consignee (recipient) without fail I'd use a private delivery company... now, of course I'm biased, but I never send anyting (and I mean anything) overseas using postal service...

When a UPS/FED/DHL package enters the Kingdom all the packages are inspected at the airport under the watch of UPS/FEDEX/DHL personnel.. therefore your stuff won't walk off...

Some countries levy a VAT on the delivery end because (in the eyes of the local govt) it is a SERVICE that you're buying...

In a nutshell all these companies will deliver to ALL parts of the Kingdom...

I send stuff from US (west coast) to BKK and get 2 1/2 day delivery... It's 4 days to the remote northern/eastern provinces...

---UPSer

I have alot of stuff sent in and out of the country, and when recieving goods into Thailand I always make sure it is sent Postal Airmail and insured by the sendee as insurance seems to keep the thieves away in the post office. I would NEVER have anything of value sent via courier, they will charge you tax, I had a denim jacket arrive here via DHL last year, with a value put on it of 170AUD, even after telling the sendee to ship it insured airmail as it WOULD GET TAXED with a courier service. Guess what, a bill for 1500 baht in taxes and VAT. The sendee learnt very quickly how to ship to Thailand after paying the tax bill to release my personal property!!

Insured airmail always arrives here, and the comments on low valuing the items is a pertinant one. Dont be afraid of Postal Airmail, but be afraid of couriers!!

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: jingjoh ]

All-

IMHO, if you're sending basic stuff (nothing of high value) and it's going to Bangkok-metro locations, you should be ok... It's only when you start sending to addresses in rural areas that things go wrong...

I know that all of the major couriers (UPS, FEDEX, DHL) do not use "local" agents for delivery.. Therefore your package stays with a company employee all the way until delivery.

While package/mail theft in & out of the Kingdom is not a rampant problem (compared to #1 Nigeria) there is a marked increase of incidents involving rual pickup and delivery.

---UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Dunno where you are, but I recently had 8000B (cash) sent from the UK in 3 days and it arr'd safely, by Registered Airmail.

Only prob was, the dopey Thais in the office on the ground floor signed for it and left it exposed to theft in a box on the ground floor.

I found it by chance!

Archived