Thai Driving License

How difficult is it getting a Thai Driving License? What documents are needed?

If I have a US Driving License, is it just a formality?

Would I need a work permit?

If I am in Thailand on a tourist visa, is this a problem for getting the Driving License?

You need a non immigrant visa to get a Thai driving license, you cannot get one on a tourist visa.

Before you leave USA(?) get yourself an International license 'cos you can't drive on your national license either.

If you are only concerned with driving in Thailand with a valid license, you can use an International Driving Permit which is easily available at your local AAA office. It costs $10, you must also submit 2 PP photos (available at AAA) and it is good for a year. Just show them your valid US license and they will issued the Int. version.

I recently had the opportunity to show mine to a Bangkok traffic cop and I guess he knew what it was, anyway he did accept it as valid and the helped me to accomplish an illegal driving manuever. I needed to back out of the high way entrance on Rama IV, since I didn't want the highway, just trying to make an illegal U turn. You should see me driving in NY.

Go to www.ethailand.com for an explanation.

If I remember correctly you need a standard letter confirming your address from your embassy. Call them. The British Embassy charges B1500, cannot say for US. It is valid for a year, then renew, another embassy letter etc

A cheaper alternative is to take the Thai test and get a licence for B105!

Your embassy can give you a list of the places that issue Thai driving licenses. I got one from the Brit Embassy but I don't have it handy sorry.

Don't get the address letter from the Embassy, get it from Immigration and it costs B500.

You'll need a medical B300 and then the license fee B500.

When it comes time for renewal you can do it before the license expires for B180.

I don't recall being asked for any visa or whatever when I got my Thai licence, thought it was years ago. But whichever the case, you WILL be required to take a written test on the vehicle code. But don't worry, it's in English. If you do not have a valid licence from home, you will have to drive around a miniature golf looking course to prove something or other. (I'm not sure just what.)

Archived