Thai Driving License

I can imagine the questions,

like what colour traffic light do you stop for ? = purple and what colour means go? = any other colour than purple. What does one way street mean? = If you drive the "wrong" way you must put your hazard lights on. What does the solid centre line on the highway mean ? = you can overtake if the oncoming vehicle is smaller than yours. What is the rear vision mirror for? = Applying make up, or checking for zits. What are the indicators for? = indo where?

Thw following is the reqirement for getting a Thai Drivers license. Note that you must ask for either a motorcycle license, an auto license or a Motorcycle/auto license. If you don't specify they will probably give you a motorcycle license. You may drive in

Thailand with an International Drivers license issued by one of the 121 countries signing some treaty about 15 years ago. All the International Drivers License does is state that you have a valid license in your country of residence. If you have a Thai Drivers license you can get a International License and use it to drive in the US or England or wherever.

If you drive without a valid local license there is no real penalty. You will probably have to pay any policeman that stops you. On the weekends, as you travel north on the tollway you have a good chance of being pulled over and your license inspected. No license costs between 500 and 2000 Baht depending on how good your Thai is and how charming your demeanor. If you are driving without a valid license or International License you will want to check to see if you are still covered by insurance. I was in a five car pile-up in Buriram a couple years ago and my car was totaled. The police didn't even comment on my California Drivers license and never asked to see my passport. Incidentally, It is another story, but I was very impressed with the prompt a fair allocation of blame for the accident.

The following is the procedure for US citizens to obtain a Thai Drivers License to operate a car or motorcycle in Thailand. It is possible to get a license to operate a motorcycle, a car or both a car and a motorcycle. The requirements are the same but you will have to specify which of the three you want.

What you will need

1. Copy of US passport with non-immigrant visa for Thailand. Bring original passport and visa with you. Tourist visas and non-immigrant visas with only a short time remaining will probably not be accepted. Copy service is available at the Bureau.

2. Copy of a valid local or US Drivers license. Bring the original license with you. If the license is expired you may be required to take a written examination. There may not be examinations available in English. Copy service is available at the bureau.

3. 2 one inch by one inch photographs. Photographic services are available at the bureau.

4. Medical Certificate issued by a doctor. Certificate issued by a doctor stating you are medically able to drive. The doctor checks pulse, blood pressure, listens to chest and checks for any handicaps that might impair driving. There are several medical clinics (green cross) in the area that charge about 80 Baht for the certificate. The bureau will give a vision test before you are issued a license.

5. Certificate of Residency. Notarized copy issued by the US Embassy for $55.

6. 105 Baht The cost of the license is 105 Baht.

What to do:

After you have assembled what you will need you must visit, in person, the Thai Motor Vehicle Bureau located about 150 Yards past Sukhumvit, soi 99. Turn left under the large white arch and go about 100 yards down the entry road to the white building on the left. Soi 99 is almost directly across from Soi 62 and about ½ mile past the On Nut station of the Elevated train. Some English is spoken at the Bureau

Start by going to window #2 and explaining what you want. After the initial paperwork is completed you will be sent to different windows in the same building and receive the license that day. The first license will be valid for one year and must be signed by the recipient. It is a good idea to have it laminated at a local photo store.

An International Drives License, “Na Na Chah Bie Kahp Kee ”, is available after you have been issued a Thai Drivers License.

Archived