Klongtom market

yfs

Hi,

there are hundreds of markets in Bangkok most of them known just by people living in the area. I never heard of a Klongtom market, is it a market or a shopping center? A Soi Khlongtom exists so maybe it's there.

Or maybe it's Klong Toey Market?

elef

Klong Tom market is close to Chinatown. Go along Charoen Krung, Soi 17 or so. It can be a bit difficult to spot as the market is spread out between the houses. Any taxi driver in the area should know where it is though.

elef,

Klong Tom is a famous hardware market in Bangkok. It's probably one of the best considering variety and price.

Cheers,

Stray

Hi Straycat,

tnx, google has one document listing it together with Panthip. But the only reference to a Klongtom market is the one in Krabi! ::

However I checked my Bangkok guidebook and it's not included there, internet BKK guides don't list it in their shopping sections.

BTW, do you know where Soi Khlongtom is?

:beer:

elef

BTW, do you know where Soi Khlongtom is?

:beer:

Hi there,

No, I don't know really...but I do know that Mahachak Rd (which crosses Charoenkrung at Soi 12) officially/sometimes/on some maps is named 'Khlong Tom Mahachak Rd'. So, Soi Khlong Tom is possibly a soi off this street. ::

It does not surprise me that the Klong Tom market is not listed in the guidebooks. It's very much mostly of local interest....unless, of course, you are looking for fuel driven compressors, car fenders & television sets for your vacation. :):beer:

It's also a very difficult area to find your way around in. The market is spread out along many narrow streets. It is also extremely crowded during weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

Straycat is right about Klong Tom market being near Chinatown area... its very confusing and sprawls across a few blocks :dunno:

It used to sell fake DVD's but the pinch was put on that crowd by the tam ruat, and now its more respectable, but still hocks cheap electronics and hardware :up:

If you know how to bargain you can score a great VCD player from China for nothing that will promptly break in a few months. Just remember the stains on the guys teeth as he pronunciates guarantee through a thick Thai grin.. :doah:

Cheers,

the_numbers

P.S. - just ask a few taxi drivers and you'll hit paydirt.

Guest lazyphil

<<Nothing like heading out there with the the boys and rummaging through the place like real men>>

'with the boys' 'like real men' :: :banghead:

It also used to be the place to find your stuff, if someone had broken into your appartment. Then you could buy it back a few days after in the klong tom market.

Lots of antiques there, and I second WYD, its a cool place to go for a stroll at night with a can of beer in your hand.

Archived