Is Visa required if ....

Your status in Thailand will not change.You will still need a visa for stays over 1 month,I dont know about working visa,s,but everything else remains the same.I have done what you are about to do,if you need any info send me a email. good luck.

Flo from OZ:-).

Hello All,

Im planning on marrying a thai lady but have been unable to find out what status that will give me in thailand re: visa requirements, PR status , work permits..etc

I have been able to locate details if I were to bring here to Australia but the thai embassy sites I have been looking at dont seem cover marriage to thai.. Just tourist visa..etc

If anyone out there can let me know what the options I will have when/if I marry or a URL I would be most appreciative..

Regards

PussyRaider

The previous post is just plain wrong, in spite of the poster's pompous tone of world-weary knowledge.

If you are married to a Thai citizen, or if you support a Thai citizen financially (i.e. a child) you are --- generally speaking and absent very unusual circumstances --- entitled to a nonimmigrant visa that is valid for one year and which does NOT require you to leave the country every three months. If you do want to leave Thailand and return during the one year period, you will have to get a separate reentry permit (a multiple reentry permit covering as many entrances and exits as you might want to make for the whole year will cost you B1000) or you will lose the visa.

This type of visa is only granted once you are in Thailand, however, not by an embassy overseas. In order to apply after you are here, you must enter on a Nonimmigrant 'O' visa which gives you a maximum stay of 90 days in Thailand. If you enter on a tourist visa, you're out of luck. Anyway, proof of your wife' citizenship would get you a Nonimmigrant 'O' without any problem in any Thai embassy I've ever heard of.

The process once you are here is pretty automatic and there are a number of 'consultants' or fixers in Bangkok who make a living out of walking the paperwork through Immigration for foreigners married to Thais at somewhere around B10,000 a pop. Don't try to do it yourself. The B10,000 is money well spent. And, no, I don't have anyone specific to recommend, but the Post and the Nation are full of ads, most of them for firms that have in in business a long time (which makes them reputable here, after a fashion).

As for a work permit, however, being married to a Thai citizen changes nothing. The rules for a foreigner wishing to work in Thailand are always the same, regardless of your marital status.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I must as after reading the links and replies that have been sent it sound a bit clumsy having to constaintly apply for visa every year /3 months, depending on what visas you have.

It looks like it will be easier for my GF/wife to come to Australia.. Though I would like to end up in Bangkok one day..

Thanks Again

Pussyraider

Sorry, Sky Brow.

I guess I was just feeling unusually pissy the day I wrote that. I often get that way after reading some of the posts that end up on this board. The self-declared experts on Thailand (who are actually hopeless jerk-offs) sometimes seem to be numberless.

My apologies to you.

OldAsiaHand

Regular

Member # 219

“If you support a Thai citizen financially (i.e. a child) you are --- generally speaking and absent very unusual circumstances --- entitled to a non-immigrant visa that is valid for one year and which does NOT require you to leave the country every three months.”

Do you have to show evidence of support and if so does that entail how much/record of transfers etc.

If your name is on The birth certificate does that avoid the above.

Thanks

db_sez_aloha

Regular

Member # 6

Found it.Thanks for the link.

Applying for an extension for foreigner who supports or is being supported by a Thai national child or a child who has residence in Thailand

Initial place to contact:

A non-immigrant visa “code O” must be obtained at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad before entering the country.

Duration of the first permit:

As warranted by this visa, the applicant will receive permission to stay for 90 days.

Duration of extension:

If granted, its maximum extension will be for one year at a time.

Requirements:

1. Application Form (T.M. 7)

2. A copy of passport or document used in lieu of passport

3. The applicant’s 4x6 cm. photo.

4. Extension fee, Baht 500.

5. Proof of parenthood, and relation.

6. Evidence to identify that the supporter or the one being supported has Thai nationality or is residing in Thailand.

7. If the applicant is a supporter, he needs to submit financial evidence, proof of employment, a work permit and tax records.

Archived