Is Visa required if ....

Count me as one of the hopeless jerkoffs mentioned above. so, if I am married to and supporting a Thai lady, the marriage is registered in Thailand and she has three kids all of whom I support and send to private schools, none of them mine I am eligible for a type O dependent visa? Yes? No? Remember, not my kids. I have moderate unreported income in Thailand and a moderate amount of US dollars coming to me in cash from the US every month.

For what it's worth, DB seems to me to have it all pretty straight. Just two thoughts on his comments:

First, my wife and I were married outside Thailand and have never registered the marriage here. I've always submitted a copy of the foreign marriage certificate with a translation in my application package, and it's never been questioned. Certainly we've never been asked for any evidence of registration in Thailand by anyone.

Second, I had never included our children (both born in Thailand) in my usual visa application package until a couple of years ago when the fixer told me I ought to do that. He insisted that was more 'automatic' than a marraige-based application, presumably because of the Thai-issued birth certificates. Nothing was ever said about financial evidence of 'support', and I gathered it was the existence of the birth certificates naming me as the father that mattered and that a presumption of support resulted from that.

As for what would happen if you support children (either your own or your GF's) without being married, well... you got me there. I have no experience at all with those circumstances and can't really offer any advice. Sounds to me like it might be worth a try, however. Some of these fixers can do a lot with a little.

Archived