Evil Durian!

SoiledCowboy

Always knew that this stuff would be bad for you...

Man overdoses on durian.

An elderly man in northern Thailand died after eating a large amount of durian, a pungent but wildly popular fruit that can overheat the body's metabolism, a report said today.

Thavin Chaiya, 68, purchased one of the large, brown, prickly shelled fruits yesterday in the northern province of Chiang Mai and was feasting with friends on the durian's yellow flesh.

Villagers were quoted by The Nation newspaper as saying Thavin suddenly called for water and then his eyes bulged and he fell to the floor and began convulsing. He died on the way to hospital.

Medical officials said he was the second person to die from eating durian in the past month.

Dr Suwat Wiriyapongsukij, a former president of the Rural Doctors Society, warned that elderly people are especially vulnerable to the heat generated by eating durian.

He said people who eat the fruit should also drink plenty of water and eat "cooler" fruits such as mangosteen to prevent the body from overheating.

Medical authorities also advise against drinking alcohol along with the highly sulphuric durian fruit and refrain from eating it after dark because it can interfere with sleep.

May 31, 2004 - From the Sydney Morning Herald

Hi,

Read about this a while ago also, but article I read said he had eaten 4. G/F confirmed, with what she heard on local Thai news also, the same night. She first though he had drank Mekong along with it, but he did not. For whatever reason, he consumed 4 large durian by himself, in a single day. The actual cause of death was never disclosed. But was clear was from radically excessive consumption of the friut.

HT

From the website of the film "Durian Durian".

<<Yan was born in Northern China and has come to Hong Kong for the same reason as Fan?to make money. She becomes the hardest working prostitute in town, turning as many tricks as her three-month visa allows. She trudges many times a day through the alley where Fan works, moving from one cheap hotel to another. One day the pimp accompanying her?a dumb teenage gangster?gets his head smashed from behind in a random act of violence. The weapon is a strange, spiky fruit known as the "durian." Soon after, Fan?s father brings home a durian as a special birthday treat. The terrible smell of the thing is not made better by its sweet taste.>>

So, the evil durian is also a murder weapon - the plot thickens...

:devil::beer::devil:

Hi all,

"When the durians come down, the sarongs come off.

(A Malaysian saying)

Durian has an intriguing reputation in Southeast Asia as having aphrodisiac properties. It is not clear whether this is attributed to some substance in the fruit pulp itself, or whether it's that the almost erotic sensuality of eating durian, due to its unique silky-smooth texture, exquisite flavor, and rich aroma, tends to put people in the mood for something more along that line. My own experience suggests that it?s both! Lovers who like durian will be able to find many wonderful creative uses for this fruit! :-)"

web page

Durian is just for gourmets! :neener:

elef

• 3 weeks later...

I always used to think this was bollocks and await proper medical judgment. How can you overheat from eating a fruit?

I love eating Durian with beer (they go together so well :p) but so many Thais used to warn me against it ("You'll die. From a hot stomach, etc") that I used to ask Thai doctors about it whenever I saw one. To a man, they just laughed it off as a myth. So I keep doing it. Durian doesn't smell bad to me either. Don't know what people are talking about...:dunno:

Mind you, fair play to the guy that ate 4. 4 large whole durians? The whole big, head-sized fruit, not just large segments?! ::

Archived