Check use by date on multiple entry visas

robaus

A 60 day one should be used (activated) within 3 months of issue.

A double entry 2*60 days should say "This visa must be utilized before ......" that date should be SIX months after issue.

A mate of mine didn't check his visa issued in London. The clerk had put 3 month expiry date instead of 6 months on his double entry visa. He got a 1 month extension on the first visa, but when he went on a visa run to the Cambodian border, Thai immigration said the visa's expired. Just gave him the regular 30 day on arrival. Now he's got to start the whole process again in a consulate/embassy abroad, all because of someone's cockup. Look carefully at the fine print on your next visa. Make sure you've got what you paid for.

I would second that.

On obtaining my 1 year multiple entry visa earlier this year.

The embassy offical stamped in the issue date

proceeded to move the day back one number for the stamp for the expiration date.

Upon returning home and just casually looking at the passport I then noticed he had forgotten to change the year on the expiration date of the visa.

Thus my visa expired 1 day before it was actually issued.

Lost another day at the Embassy.

Could have been worse though

Check!!

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: phiketpete ]

• 3 weeks later...

I third that!

I've had my expiry dates goofed by the Cosulate a few times.. It's always been a quic fix.. a phone call or fax to Consualte..

But you still gotta check!

Nothing like a rude visa suprise at the LOS border!

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0

Me too!! Only my screw up happened when entering Thailand at Don Muang Airport. I had a 60 day visa but the Thai Immigration clerk mistakenly stamped my passport with a 30 day stamp. I didn't realize what had happened until I left the airport so I had to go through the pain in the ass of stopping by Immigration in Bangkok for a 30 day extension. Free, of course.

Anyway, not such a big deal unless I hadn't noticed it at all. I can only imagine what kind of an excruciating and torturous ordeal I would have had to go through if I had showed up at the airport to leave Thailand with a long overstay and an incorrect entry stamp.

Well, live and learn. Now, I always check before leaving the Immigration area.

> A 60 day one should be used (activated) within 3 months of issue. A double entry 2*60 days should say "This visa must be utilized before ......" that date should be SIX months after issue.

Thanks for bringing up this subject, because it looks like my visa may be stamped incorrectly. I'm in the States and I was just issued a triple-entry tourist visa a couple of weeks ago. The issue date is August 27th, but the "valid until" date is stamped as November 26th.

I'm not sure that I agree with your interpretation of the "valid until" date. I always thought that this was the last date that you had to ACTIVATE the visa on your FIRST entry. Are you saying that if I entered the country on November 25th, that it would be impossible for me to ever use the second and third entries on my visa?

Should I send my passport back to the consulate for correction? Should a triple-entry visa be valid for nine months?

I asked for a triple-entry because I will be over in Thailand for at least a year and wanted to minimize the number of times that I would have to apply for a new visa. On my application, I wrote that I was only staying for 60 days, since this is the maximum allowed by a tourist visa without extensions. Maybe this was mistake... is it OK to write "one year" when applying for a tourist visa?

JGA

JGA2000--

It sounds like the Embassy/Consualte did the right thing.. Although it wasn't what you were looking for.. I you got three tourist visas issued at the same time..right? If so, then the Embassy/Consulate was correct.. They ALL have to be used within 90 days of ISSUE.. That's the reason that it ins't such a good idea to get multiple visas that are all ISSUSED at the same time..

I'd call the Embassy/Consualte and get clarification with them as to what you wanted, what they gave you and the best solution...

As a note, its' ALWAYS easier to clear up visa problems in the US (with the same office that initially issued them to you) than it is to try fixing ANYTHING in BKK..

--UPSer

PS: Remember jai dee, not jai rawn... laugh.gif" border="0

> It sounds like the Embassy/Consualte did the right thing. Although it wasn't what you were looking for. You got three tourist visas issued at the same time..right?

Who would want three tourist visas at the same time for one person? I paid for three entries, but I wasn't expecting them to all expire 3 months after the issue date. I guess I'll be returning my passport to the consulate tomorrow morning.

JGA

quote:

Originally posted by CondomKing:

Me too!! Only my screw up happened when entering Thailand at Don Muang Airport. I had a 60 day visa but the Thai Immigration clerk mistakenly stamped my passport with a 30 day stamp

Happened to me too -- entering on a 1 year non-B the guy stamped me with 30 days instead of 90. I was on the lookout and caught it before leaving the counter and he fixed it.

Entering 6 weeks later it happened again. I pointed it out and the guy said, wow, I did this to you 6 weeks ago too! He saw the stamp from 6 weeks earlier and noticed his own bage number written next to it! We had a chuckle over it.

Be vigilant.

I honestly think there's been a slip up with your expiry date. Your interpretion is what I originally thought too, until my mate returned from his visa run. That's exactly what my mate thought too. In his case he thought "I activated the first visa and therefore the sequence of TWO visas before the expiry date, therefore I'm OK". Not so, as he found out at the border on his visa run. In your case I reckon your expiry date for a triple entry should read NINE months after issue. Maybe the immigration officer was wrong at Aranyaprathet, but argue as he might, he faces the whole process over again.

I'd go back to the embassy for a 9 mth expiry date.

BTW this was the interpretation of First Visa Run, the visa speciaists in Pattaya, before he went on his run. He soon found out they were right.

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: robaus ]

On a related note, what does everybody think of the following scenario?

Let's say that I was issued a double-entry tourist visa on September 10th with an expiration date 6 months later. I enter Thailand on October 1st, but I already know that I'm going to Indonesia for a week on October 16th and then returning to Thailand.

The question is this... Can I enter Thailand the first time using a 30-day "on arrival" visa without activating the double-entry visa that's in my passport? I'd like to save this visa and activate the first entry only after I return from Indonesia.

I was told that this is possible if you don't write a visa number on your arrival card and the customs official doesn't thumb through your passport and notice the unused visa.

JGA

Archived