Internet telephony,worth a try ?

Vincent

Just wondering if any body has tried using this Pc to phone network protocol.If so,is it any good?,whats the sound,quality etc like when connecting to Thailand .

Im sick of spending roughly a quid a minute on my phone calls.

Here's a couple of links to Pc 2 phone software providers

http://www.callserve.com/Homepage.asp

http://web.net2phone.com/home_inten.asp

Guest lazyphil

Hi Vincent

You said quid so I assume you live in the uk?--if so my mrs uses this

http://www.telediscount.co.uk/

access number for LOS is 0871 7 723 723--just dial this then follow prompts...enter usual LOS number with LOS 0066 code and both landline/moblies are 7p a minute...no catches...the

0871 7 723 723 number shows up on BT bill...used for over several years, pretty reliable clear connections :)

Hotels in Viet Nam offers Internet phone as an alternative to the traditional one. Reduced price, but not that much. Which indicates its not that bad, if it was it would be very low prices.

Heck, its popular in Viet Nam so why not to Thailand who has better infrastructure?

I will enter into it here in Norway, I do not expect it to be as bad as many of the phone cards with reduced prices are. Internet connection is (relatively) good to these countries.

Cheers!

I thinks thats a regular phone service Phil, using spare satellite phone time.

Internet phone - you hook it up to a internet connection through a box where you hook up PC.

In my country is costs about 20 USD pr month, unlimited calls within the country and abroad.

I am eager to try it!

Cheers!

Yeah ,Cheers,mate.

I tried using that telediscount web site's numbers last year.I think " Long gun " posted the original link to that site.For me,I found the connection,was atrocious,echo and delay ,swirling noises etc,I tried 3 or four times all with the same out come.

Anyhow,thanks for your reply.

I stayed in an hotel way back in 2000 near KSR.I used their internet phone for a fraction of a regular phone call,,it was quite a decent line and connection.No doubt they were on a very slow dial up connection too back then.Thats why Im wondering what the quality is like these days with adsl .

Cheers.

I use Net2phone to call from LOS to the rest of the planet, most countries at 2 baht/minute, except to mobile 20 baht/min.

Quality is not terrible, but at that price.....

Calling with n2p to Thailand is expensive though, this because CAT (Communications Authority Thailand) who controls international traffic still has a monoply.

Hiya,

According to the n2p rates search on their site,it says

Calling From To Rate/Minute

United Kingdom Thailand US$ 0.19

But I think that is to a Thai landline,I can't find out on their site if calling to mobiles ( which I need ) is more,which no doubt it will be.19 cents a min is considerably less than I pay now.

Strange they don't differenciate between landline and mobile on call rates to Thailand. The other way round they do give you the split. I do rember though, checking the billing online it was x times more to call a mobile in LOS.

Maybe need you could try and check?

Archived