big cock surcharges!

Originally posted by Thai_vet_73-74:

[QB]"Khun saibi dee, krup?" is Thai. It equates to "How are you Sir/Maam?" or "How are you feeling?" This is a very common and polite greeting. It's even in all the Thai phrase books and perfectly acceptable anywhere in Thailand.

]

Hmm, as you will perhaps recall he wrote: "Sabaidee krap" Which on its own makes no sense unless it is an answer to an already asked question.

Incidentally, your "khun sabai dee krup?" You will hardly find in any guidebook as you will need to add a "mai" or "reu" before the "krup" to make it a question at all.

So cut the guy some slack will you.

Sure I will, but it will take some more than a "Sabaidee krap" to convince any local that you are not a newbie.

By the way, Sabaidee used as a greeting on its own is the Lao greeting and not thai, as I stated in my previous post but I guess you wouldn`t know anyway.

Pescator>>"By the way, Sabaidee used as a greeting on its own is the Lao greeting and not thai, as I stated in my previous post but I guess you wouldn`t know anyway. "

Your correct, of course, on the "mai" or "reu" requiremnt to make a question. My real reason for the comment is that most Thais will respond favorably to his attempt at Thai and would realize what he was attempting to say (sure, they would find it humorous too). Whether proficiency in Thai language implies newbie or not, there are those who have been there a long time and would not really be called proficient. Sadly, some don't even try!

I speak enough to get by, been there several times. Proficient (by my definition) by no means. Oh! As for your comment above about Lao greeting---yeah, I probably wouldn't know that--only married to one (Lao) 27 years.

quote:

Originally posted by Thai_vet_73-74:

Pescator>>"By the way, Sabaidee used as a greeting on its own is the Lao greeting and not thai, as I stated in my previous post but I guess you wouldn`t know anyway. "

Whether proficiency in Thai language implies newbie or not, there are those who have been there a long time and would not really be called proficient. Sadly, some don't even try!

I speak enough to get by, been there several times. Proficient (by my definition) by no means. Oh! As for your comment above about Lao greeting---yeah, I probably wouldn't know that--only married to one (Lao) 27 years.

You`re been married to a Lao women for 27 years and still do not know the common Lao greeting??

It would seem you have just proven your own statement about the proficiency.

>>Pescator: You`re been married to a Lao women for 27 years and still do not know the common Lao greeting??

It would seem you have just proven your own statement about the proficiency. <<

My statement was meant as sarcasm, which apparently you didn't catch. Anyway, I think we've worn out the subject. Have a great day.

smile.gif" border="0

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: Thai_vet_73-74 ]

Archived