Windows Updates & Service Packs

gawguy

Which ones do I need? I don't want to waste time, tie up my computer downloading, or fill up my hd with junk I don't need.

Basically I use MS Word and I surf the web. I occasionally access the "dodgy" website. I would like as much virus and intrusion protection as MS provides, without going into overkill.

Thanks,

GG

You need all the security updates listed on MS WEB site. (www.microsoft.com/windowsupdate).

The next column, Windows updates should be considered according to if you use applications listed there. Like Media player, Directx etc. Go through each one and determine if you use the stuff. If you do not know if you use it or not, do not download it.

The last one, HW driver updates can actually mess up things. The best place for HW driver updates is the manufactors WEB site. Download from MS site only if you suspect problems with current driver.

When it comes to MS Office, you should update it:

http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/default.aspx

Install all updates there - you will need the original CD though. It scans through your PC, and will only install updates on Office products you have.

Finally, if you do not have a Firewall and a virus protection program in addition you are running a risk even if you do all above.

If you use Windows XP I would highly recommend installing the service pack 2. Its been around a long time and Microsoft have been slow to put it into official release because they want more security in it - they are very security aware these days. Its stable and safe.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx

Cheers!

Hi,

can only back up what check_bin already told.

Though I would wait with the Service Pack 2 until M$ officially releases it (I heared june or july, but hey, isn't it june already?). The security updates you should get real pronto.

For anti-virus there are some programs around which offer a light version or personal edition of their software as free of charge. Antivir is quite good as they are quite fast to update their virus signatures. Same for many firewalls, many provide standard or light versions for free. Try Sygate, they were quite good in a test lately, while the Zone Alarm (which is very popular) took a dive. But with firewalls you have to put in more effort to understand how they work and how to configure it for program that should connect to the internet and accept connections from the outside.

Have fun doing the maintenance stuff.

I'm on dial-up. Had problems with my PC and finally had to send it to a shop here in Pattaya and the guy reformatted my HD :: and loaded Win XP Professional. But I've just discovered that Service Pack 1 was not included :(

Looked at downloading from the Net but it will take many hours and chances are I'll get a disconnect before the download is complete.

Is Service Pack 1 available on a separate CD-ROM at say Pantip?

Or

I have a copy of Win XP Pro which includes the Service Pack 1. Under "What do you want to do?" one of the choices is "Browse this CD" and there I find a folder titled "Microsoft Plus! For Windows XP - Service Pack 1".

This appears to me to be the Service Pack 1 that I need and all I have to do is download it, correct???

Thanks for any suggestions offered.

-redwood

Hi,

Microsoft plus is not SP1.It is a entertainment extra package for XP.Games,screensavers and a load of other things.Search your cd for a folder with SP1 as or part of the title.Or order the free cd fromm MS,takes about a month.SP1 is often included with cover cd,s on pc mags.

cheers sky brow. ::

Tried the Service Pack 2 download

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx

but it's 100 MB & an estimated 6 hours and the updates are another 52.4 MB ~3 hours to download.

I've ordered the free CD.

I'd just reload Windows XP with SP1 but I've already downloaded anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall programs and I don't want to have to do that lengthy operation again.

Thanks for the help.

-redwood

"I'd just reload Windows XP with SP1 but I've already downloaded anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall programs and I don't want to have to do that lengthy operation again."

I am not quite sure what you mean.

Anyway, there is no need to reinstall anything at all when you apply a service pack.

Cheers!

Archived